It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:25 am 

That look sweet. i hope u enjoy it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:13 pm 

MORTIS!!!
Surely you have the rig by now. How is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:40 pm 

Not yet. I shouldn't have it until the end of the month. The invoice said that it would be ready to ship by the end of this week, with a 5-10 day delivery window. I will let you know when it arrives.

When it does, I wanted to transfer all of my saved files from my currently-dying system into the new one. Anything special I will need to set up a temporary network?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm 

If your old system has a NIC card, then all you need is a strand of CAT 5 cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:08 pm 

And so, the story continues....(get ready, this is a long one)......

So, I ordered the new system on January 3rd, with an expected ship date of the 13th. Called a week after that, and they said it was shipping "tomorrow." Called about every 3 days after that and they said I would have to speak with my "sales rep" who curiously never seemed to be there. Finally got him, and he gave me the same story about shipping "tomorrow." They did upgrade my shipping to 2-day delivery for free due to the delays.

Got the system, but it wouldn't boot. It hung on the Windows XP boot screen. I got fed up, and wiped everything for a fresh install. Bear in mind, that there were absolutely NO manuals included except for the one for the motherboard. The motherboard had an internal audio card, but I went ahead and installed a Sound Blaste Audigy 4 card (or should I have stayed with the ports provided). After a few rocky starts and snags, the system is finished and operational. IT REALLY MOVES!!!!

I tried a few rounds on CG to test it out. I am still getting used to the new configuration. Everything was working fine until, for no aparent reason, my computer rebooted itself. This seems to happen every now and then. It hung up on another game as well. Could it be something with the video card? I have ran every system scan possible through Norton SystemWorks without finding problems.

Another problem, and probably minor at that, is that there are 3 unsupported devices under my device manager. They are as follows:
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller
Uknown device
Technical support from CyberPower is only available from 9 to 5 (Pacific Time) M-F (which is exactly when I am at work), so alot of help there. I'm sure that when I get through to them they will be as helpful as before. Also, I can't install Quicktime. It crashes every time I try. I'm sure that there will be other issues as I go along.

The main thing is that the system seems to be working (for the most part). The processor question debate checked out, and all parts seem to be on the up-and-up. I was able to salvage everything from my old system before it completely fell apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 pm 

Sorry Mortis
I just spend last whole get my fix. I hope it work out for you.

Post subject: Oh Jarg!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Jarg! Oh Jarg!!!! Where are you????

Hey Mort that sux. You need a computer nerd buddy bad! There are tons of things to consider here. Far to many for me to spend time on now. You should have got a disk with it. Did you? What does it say on the disk? Is this a Pentium or a AMD computer?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:21 pm 

Discs are as follows:
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Series Nvidia nForce4 SLI - Intel Edition Support
EVGA Display Driver Installation For Windows Version 53.2
CyberPower Inc. Recovery CD-Rom (Windows XP Sp 2)
Logitech iTouch 2.22 (Keyboard Software)
Cyberlink PowerDVD 6
Nero OEM Suite

System runs a Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:09 pm 

Arrgh... I am sorry for that, Mortis. I have heard nothing but good stuff about this company before. Also, after seeing a friends computer, and how professionaly it was put together, I felt confident about their reputation.
I tried a few rounds on CG to test it out. I am still getting used to the new configuration. Everything was working fine until, for no aparent reason, my computer rebooted itself. This seems to happen every now and then. It hung up on another game as well. Could it be something with the video card? I have ran every system scan possible through Norton SystemWorks without finding problems.
Quote:

It sounds like a classic example of too much heat being built up in the case. Specifically in the processor.
First, download this:

Link removed due to extreme length.

Make sure that the processor that you ordered is the processor that you have.
Also, check to see if Cyberpower overclocked your PC any. Check the front side bus speed.
Finally, what kind of case did you get? How many fans are installed?
Does the PC lock up or reboot during normal operation or only during games?

And sorry for the wide post. It is because the link to Intel is so huge.

Last edited by The Jargonaut on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:15 pm 

It is what it says it is. Doesn't seem to be overclocked either. I had an extra 3 fans installed, as well as a temperature monitor.

As far as lockup goes, it completely rebooted during UT. It locked up during another game. It sometimes reboots for no reason while doing nothing. It sometimes will not come out of monitor shutdown (when in power save mode). I am gonna try and get in touch with the tech support goobers today and chew their ears.

Overall, I like the system, and feel that I got my moneys worth. The previous one is currently being used as a doorstop/catpost. I am really gonna enhance this new one with lots of bells and whistles. Just gotta work out some of the bugs first.

UPDATE: The tech support guys were a bunch of f***ing a**holes! Not even an attemt at helping me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 pm 

Okay. Let's diagnose this issue.
1. Go to Start.
2. Go to Run.
3 Type or copy/paste eventvwr.msc
4. Look for errors in all three of the categories:
Application
Security
System

I would guess that the problem is in the system.
If you find anything that you can not understand, you can copy and post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:55 pm 

Quote:
It sometimes reboots for no reason while doing nothing.

This is what worries me the most. If it locks up during gaming, 9 times outta 10 it is a heating issue.
Random reboots are another problem all together. What kind of anti virus did it come with?
I have never had luck with the hibernate feature. Hate it.

I also hate recovery CDs. This is one of the bad things about buying from a company instead of building yourself.

Let me know if you can find the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am 

So, I have been doing a little playing around with the setup.

I stopped the reboots (as far as I can tell).

I got around the problems installing quicktime (thank you earlier post from Fluffy).

I found a couple of XP updates that failed to install, and did them manually.

Still have some items in the hardware profiles that are unrecognized, but I will ignore them for now until they present a problem.

Got online last night and played a few rounds. This system moves so fast, it will take some getting used to. Now I can play badly even faster! :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:15 pm 

:director: Ok I just read this thread for shits and giggles and I have to say that I knew you were into some strange shat but I didn't think Masocism was one of them Mort. :geek:

I know any chance of me persuading any of you folks to switch to Mac is futile but I can't help to think that I'm watching a bad "B" horror movie whenever I read these types of PC related threads. You know the ones where a woman hears some sinister noise in the basement yet is compelled to go investigate rather than running her ass out of the house and to a neighbors home to call the police. Similar in the way that you guys keep going out and buy Windows machines knowing that right around the corner your gonna get knifed in the back. BUT YOU STILL DO IT!

Mort the system does look cool and I wish you the best of luck with it but it is still running windows and that alone is an obstacle to an enjoyable computer experience.

Once again stepping down off my soapbox.

:offtheair:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:12 pm 

Okay, cool. I am glad that you have it up and running. I was feeling pretty crappy about the whole thing.
I hope that it does very well for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next