It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:07 pm 

The Jargonaut wrote:
If you have $600, then I advise EVERYONE try to get this. It is a mistake on Cyberpowers site. They have a $1200 processor for almost NOTHING!
I doubt you can get away with it, but who knows. It is worth a shot!
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/cfgpd.asp?v=d#configurator_top
Click on the Extreme Edition 840 CPU. THis should EASILY make this system DOUBLE the price quoted!

If you don't believe me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214

Is there a big difference between these CPUs?
(Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® D 820 CPU @ 2.8GHz w/ 800FSB Dual-Core 2x1MB Cache, 64 Bit
-or-
Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 840 CPU Dual-Core w/HT Technology 3.2GHz 800FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit
-or-
Intel® Pentium® 4 Extreme Edition CPU w/HT Technology 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:15 pm 

The difference is that this is a pricing mistake. You can NOT get this processor for this price ANYWHERE in the world. It is among the fastest out there for personal computers.
Herm, I know you are a PC guru. Do you agree?

If you were to configure this PC when the prices were right, expect to pay at least 3 grand.

Last edited by The Jargonaut on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:39 pm 

Oh, and to answer your question Mort.
The Pentium D is the regular version of a processor, albeit fast.
The Extreme editions have more lvl 2 cache. This will, in effect, speed up your programs. One is a dual core. In other words, two processors per die (chip).
For a mostly gameing PC, I would go with the first Extreme Edition, with the single core. Most of todays games can not take advantage of Dual core processing.
BUT
It would be a good idea to get the dual core Extreme edition to "future proof" yourself. You can multitask like a madman with this.
If I had the money, I would order a BUNCH of the dual core Extreme editions at this price. I could make a KILLING!

Also, you MAY need to get a 64 bit OS. WinXP 64 is out, and Vista will be out later this year.
No matter which you buy (IF you can get away with it), You will be SMOKIN!
Except the vid card is a little cheap. If possible, try to get the Nvidia 7800GTX. It will SCREAM!

Post subject: Brakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hit the brakes! I did not see that this rig only cost this amount. That amounyt is for the case stuff alone. The chip is not included. If you want the chip, the price is to the right of everysingle chip listed and note they all have a + sign. So, you're looking at $600 case + $XXX for the chip and that is just starters. This is not a mistake. Jarg, you are interpretting this incorrectly and would lose this arguement in court. Please be carefull here Mortis. Not Knocking you Jarg, I thought the same thing at first but I don't want Mortis or anyone else making this costly of an misunderstanding. Others, need to jump in and tell us how they read this deal.

Hermskii,

Last edited by Hermskii on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:09 pm 

Here is what I came up with.....

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/CFGPD.asp?v=d

This does include the chip, right?

Post subject: UG!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

UG! Yes that now looks to me to be correct but I want you to call first and confirm with these folks prior to order. My God! I'm freaking out being nervous for you. Sorry, I just don't want you to burn yourself. Ask others too: Friends family. Ask the PC maker to put into writing that the stuff isn't propietary. What is the warranty? Stuff like that. Do your homework. If this is a real company and all as it seems, they will have a better deal in a week if not the same one. Something just doesn't seem right about this to me. It has that "if it seems too good to be true" feeling about it. Do your homework! Let us know. Happy shopping and Halloween!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:16 pm 

By the time I had finished "upgrading" this system with most of the goodies I'd like to see in it, the price was already over $1200, and that was with the same cpu and vid card as the "base" system.

So is it this 820 dual core cpu at 2.8 Ghz that is the bargain for only $629? Is it like they're throwing in the cheap PC for free? What would this "base" cpu normally go for?

Last edited by a nameless entity on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:24 pm 

Did a little research....

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... D=13080817

Post subject: Ok
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

That was a really good place to start. In my opinion, the fact that they are part of the BBB tells me they will try to make you happy at least. Most companies won't even join. They've been a member since 1998 which in computer industry terms is a long time. So now do what Jarg did. Go find your processor on newegg unless the one Jarg looked up was it already. If so, make your calls to the sales line for the company and ask to confirm what you get for the money and exact information on Guarantee and warranty statements etc etc. Finally, ask a few other people what they think about your findings and make your fianl decision. Question: What went so wrong when you built your own machine last time?

Hermskii,

Post subject: Re: Ok
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:22 pm 

Hermskii wrote:
Finally, ask a few other people what they think about your findings and make your fianl decision. Question: What went so wrong when you built your own machine last time?

I have nobody to ask except you guys. All of my friends and co-workers are computer illiterate. They think a 'hard drive' is traveling from NC to New York in one day.

When I built the last one, it was a big hassle to get all of the parts. Me and bios/motherboards don't get along too well. I have even had tech guys look the system over without success. I would rather opt out for something manufactured on an assembly line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm 

I can speak from kinda first hand experience with Cyberpower PC. i configured a PC for a coworker on their site. He got it when they said he would, and the price was right.
I know that their parts are non proprietary, as you can see from the configuration screen, as well as seeing my coworkers PC in person.
NICE rig, btw. The wireing alone impressed the heck outta me. i wanna take it apart to see how they did it. NO wires are hanging at all...
Either way, lemme go and see the site again to see where I went wrong.
*EDIT*
Yep, just as I figured. The upgrade now cost almost $800 more today. Mort can vouch for me that yesterday, the PC was just over $600. Now, just by selecting the Extreme Edition, it jacks the price up to over $1400....
Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:17 pm 

Quote:
So is it this 820 dual core cpu at 2.8 Ghz that is the bargain for only $629?

No, it was the Extreme Editions that "were" the bargains. The procs alone are over $1000. That is where they messed up. They seemed to have been priced at their non extreme editions price.
Of course.... AMD's processors kick the everlivin **** outta the Intel's, but I digress.

Southern and Proud :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:20 pm 

Spoke with some techs. Did a little research. This looks to be on the up and up. Called the factory in California, and spoke with one of the techs there. Yes, it is the processor in question. Yes, the price is correct. Yes, I bought that bastard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:02 pm 

Dude. Congratulations on the new rig :)
Let us know when you get it.

Post subject: Yep!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats Mortis and I feel much better knowing you did a little background research first. I bet you feel better too. I'm anxious to hear what you think of your new rig once you get it all setup the way you need it. Congrats again!

Hermskii,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next