It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hardware Blues
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:16 am 

<br><br><br>Well shoot!!<br><br>I got this Fujitsu HD from a buddy and am trying to do a erase/format on it. It's just a 6.4 gig HD and I want it so I can set up my old Celery 300mHz board cheeply !<br><br>Got a utility from www.fujitsu.com/ to do a low level format and it reported only approx. 2 meg formated. Thats not enough to do a fdisk on the thing. As a result I can't put WinDoz on it. Bummer...<br><br>So, if someone knows a shareware source for another utility, let me know cause it sure looks like I need one..<br><br>Das Hook<br> <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Hardware Blues
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Hook<br><br>Are you plugging that drive into your new motherboard, or the old celery one? Maybe the BIOS isn't recognizing the full HD.<br><br>I would stick it into the new mobo, but unhook the power to all your harddrives that are in there so that you don't accidentally format your data drive!<br><br>Western Digital and Maxtor also have free downloadable utility floppies that will format. Just surf over to their websites.<br><br>M <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Other idea!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Set it as a slave and connect it to your new system. It should show up as drive D if it was ever formatted before. Format it from there. you could also boot with a win 95 boot disk 9They have format on them). use fdisk to see what is the file system on the new drive. format it from there in dos. Pay attention to Mah! Be sure not to format the wrong drive.<br><br>Hermskii <p></p><i></i>

Hermskii,

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Other idea!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:11 pm 

<br><br>Well it looks like the HD is bad after all the work. Got the d/l from maxtor and it 'seemed' to work but the drive is a 6.4 gig and only 2.2 shows after formatting. I tried to use it and load Windoz on whats left but it wont let me. Even tried to reload an old, old Packard-bell recovery cd. It reloaded Win 3.11 and all the files but I can't run them. Major failure. Oh well, so much for cheep.<br><br>Thanks guys for the help, it was usefull.<br><br>Hookster <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Keep it!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

You must be doing something wrong. Hold on to it and get with a computer nerd that Really knows their stuff. That person will fix it right and you'll be able to use it. Keep it I say!<br><br>Hermskii <p></p><i></i>

Hermskii,

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]