It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Computer Question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:08 pm 

I've got a pc downstairs hooked up with a cable modem. So far, so good. <br><br>If I put another pc, upstairs, how do I get internet access? Do I have to get another cable modem line? Can one cable modem line handle 2 separate pc's? Is it feasible or even possible to network the pc's, wireless or otherwise, so that they can both use the existing internet hookup?<br><br>Yours in technology, <br><br>Hans <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Computer Question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:05 pm 

I don't know much about this but read this may help up<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://houseandhome.msn.com/Decorate/HomeNetworks0.aspx">houseandhome.msn.com/Deco...orks0.aspx</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Home Network: No More Fighting for Web Time<br>Introduction<br><br><br>The problem: A family has multiple computers humming around the house but only one prized Internet connection. Little Jimmy is hogging the new high-speed line and his sister, Suzi, is badgering him for a turn. Mom and Dad plan to wait until midnight to check their own e-mail and stock portfolios. <br><br><br>It's a technological logjam of sorts. But it's easily resolved with one solution: home networking. <br><br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br><br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br>Home networking allows multiple household computers to be connected online simultaneously—using one Internet connection and one ISP. Members of your household can also share printers and scanners, transfer files between computers, share PC drives, and play multi-player games from multiple PCs. You get all of this plus telephone access, too. <br><br><br>Today, there are several wired and wireless home networking solutions. Here's a rundown of the most popular and affordable options. <br><br><br>Wired Solutions<br><br>Ethernet and fast Ethernet<br>When you've narrowed down your choices, make sure you don't sign up for services you don't want or need. <br><br><br>One of the least expensive ways to connect all of your computers is with an Ethernet network. All you need is a network interface card for each computer, special cables to connect to your modem, and an Ethernet "hub." The cables run into the hub, a central device into which you plug all the cables from the various computers on the network. <br><br><br>Ethernet networking has a drawback: If the computers are in different rooms, you'll have to run cable wires across the floor to the hub. Worse still is the prospect that you'll have to drill holes in walls to string the cables from one room to the next, an often costly and time-consuming proposition, says Karuna Uppal, an analyst with the Boston-based Yankee Group, a marketing research firm . <br><br><br>Of course, if your three or more computers are in the same room, it's easy to connect them for networking. Another bonus: the "architecture" of the Ethernet network lets you mix hardware from different companies, so you won't be limited to using just one vendor's product line, Uppal says. <br><br><br>Costs for Ethernet networking range from $50 to $80. A bundled package of Ethernet cards, cables, and a hub run from about $80 to $100, according to Uppal. <br><br>Home phone line <br>A home phone line solution is relatively affordable and easy to install. All you have to do is plug a special device into a phone jack. But here's the rub: You'll need multiple phone jacks around your house to network the computers together, Uppal says. <br><br><br>To get the computers networked, you must install a Home Phoneline Networking Alliance (HPNA) card into each computer. To get them networked, you must run phone wiring from the phone jack to the HPNA card, the analyst says. <br><br><br>If your house has numerous phone jacks, the HPNA is a great solution, Uppal says. For starters, you won't have the hassle of boring holes through the walls or rewiring your house for networking purposes. Another plus: you can still talk on the phone when your computer is connected to the network. <br><br><br>But consumers beware: Transmission speeds with the HPNA card solution can be slower than with Ethernet networking, especially if the existing phone lines are old or poorly installed, Uppal says. <br><br><br>Wireless Solutions<br><br><br>Wireless home networking solutions may someday prove to be the most affordable way to go. Right now, the cost is higher than that of other options. The average wireless networking price can range from $150 to $500. <br><br><br>But wireless networking options are easier to install. There are no wires or cables to hook up. Also, you never have to be situated near an Ethernet hub or phone jack. Data is transmitted "through the air" for computers that are networked within a range of about 150 feet, according to Uppal. <br><br><br>Wireless networking cards fit inside a PC or slip into a slot in a laptop computer. Either the PC acts as a server or main transmitter, or the main transmitter is a small box. The latter is called a base station that connects to your cable modem or DSL line. <br><br><br>Most of the networking cards have flip-up antennas, and signals are sent between the computers to network them together. Because there are no wires and cables, the wireless option allows greater mobility for people with laptop computers. You can move around the house with ease and even take the laptop outdoors, Uppal says. <br><br>Wi-Fi and Home RF<br>With wireless fidelity (in short, Wi-Fi), wireless PC cards are inserted into each computer and all are networked together through either an Ethernet hub or a server unit that transmits to other wireless PC cards on your network. Wi-Fi (also called 802.11b) can transmit through walls and other non-metallic barriers for distances of up to a thousand feet. <br><br><br>The speed—about 11 megabits per second over a range of 300 feet or more—is powerful. <br><br><br>Another wireless option is Home Radio Frequency (RF), a networking option that uses the Shared Wireless Access Protocol (SWAP). Like any wireless network, it uses small radio frequencies from cards that fit inside a PC or that slip into an external card slot on a laptop. <br><br><br>Both Wi-Fi and Home RF will likely drop in price as the technology is perfected and demand increases, Uppal says. <br><br><br>Shopping on MSN <br> <br> <br><br>Enterprise Ethernet 16-Port Hub<br>$119.99<br>RadioShack.com<br><br>More Hubs <br> or try this have different list on internet<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://search.msn.com/results.asp?ba=13.0(.)0...2.0.3.0.&co=15.4(0.1)3.200.2.4.10.3..&FORM=MSNH&RS=CHECKED&q=Network&v=1&aq=network&pn=1&rd=0">search.msn.com/results.as...&pn=1&rd=0</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub44.ezboard.com/bschwantzsredeemerarenaserver.showUserPublicProfile?gid=scify>Scify</A> at: 11/5/02 12:11:08 pm<br></i>

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hans --<br>Yes there is. The best way is to get a router. On Techbargain's today, I saw this:<br><br>Buy.com 1 day Wireless Deal, Nov 5<br>Wow! Buy.com has the Netgear MR814 Wireless Router with content filtering for only $79.95 - $30 rebate = $49.95! $9.95 shipping.<br><br><br>You would hook this router up to your cable modem and then to your desktop. The other desktop would require a wireless network card. You can get those for $50 or less, if you look around. Voila! You have a network, and both computers share the broadband connection! <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: You should call me.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hans,<br><br> I wouldn't do the wireless thing if I were you. I've dealt with three different wireless sytems in the last few years. Two of which were modern and both in the last month. They both sucked especially the upload speeds. By a 4 port router and 100 ft. of cat 5 cable at Best Buy. Buy 2 patch cables too. Call me and I'll explain what you have to do after that. It's basically easy. Sorry if any of you are using wireless and disagree.<br><br>Hermskii <p></p><i></i>

Hermskii,

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:11 pm 

He's right! all you need to do is to create a LAN (local area network) using either a Hub or a Switch and then plug your modem into one of the open slots, treating it as if it were another CPU. You can have as many Computers on this network as you have available slots on the router (Hub/Switch). The thing is that each CPU has to have its own IP address. If you are using DHCP then Your ISP should automatically assign that CPU an address. Watch out though... some High speed ISPs may charge you for one or more additional IP addresses. Mine does!<br><br>topseytorp <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:42 pm 

yea u can have two computers both on roadrunner, herm has it <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:43 pm 

Great! Thanks for the info, everyone. <br>Herm, I'll be calling you one of these weeks.<br>(First, I need another pc).<br>Hans <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:08 pm 

Hans,<br><br>As you wait for that 'other pc' to appear, take a look at this Cable/DSL Router from SMC. Makes up to 4 pc's able to be on the Cable/DSL and the company won't know it and charge you.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.techbargains.com/comparison.cfm?section_id=0&cat_id=7&subcat_id=4#195">www.techbargains.com/comp...t_id=4#195</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?UID=DM-7783157&SCriteria=296846&bop=and">direct.mwave.com/mwave/sk...46&bop=and</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Das Hook <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub44.ezboard.com/bschwantzsredeemerarenaserver.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thehookster>The Hookster</A> at: 11/9/02 2:12:56 pm<br></i>

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

I have that SMC router with printer port. It rocks. I have a wireless network between 2 desktops and a laptop.<br><br>I have not had any problems with the wireless network until I got a linksys usb nic adapter for one of the desktops. The thing just won't do WEP 128bit encryption. <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]