It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: UUUGGHHH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:20 am 

Our last bastion of hope... dashed.<br>Another soldier assimulated.<br>Intelligence is futile.<br>If you cant outprogram them ...BUY THEM!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20030401/index.html">www.tomshardware.com/colu...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: UUUGGHHH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:57 am 

Now that's some funny reading LOL. Good thing it's not true.<br><br> MickeyM©<br> <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: UUUGGHHH
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:00 pm 

That's just too damn funny Death. I actually just bought an old B&W G3 along with two 17" B&W monitors the other day and was going to put linux on one of the partitions. It's only a 12 gig drive but a friend of mine has an extra 10 so I think I'll split the 12 with X on one partition and OS9 on the other and save the 10 Gig for Linux. I've never played with Linux so if any of you guys have advice it would be most appreciated. I will be loading up Yellodog 2.3. I think Deadsun is linux guy. Any advice Bro.<br> <p>Naughtius Maximus</p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Did someone say Linux?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:50 pm 

Good show Naut! I'm glad to hear that you are considering taking the plunge...I don't know much about Yellow Dog except that its redhat based; It uses RPM (Redhat Package Manager) file for software distribution. While it looks (at least according to the website) to be the be-all-end-all of Linux on the Mac, I would also like to mention that Mandrake, SuSE and Gentoo Linux all support the PowerPC platform; however, there are some things to say about each one. I have been trying SuSE (since Schwantz told me that the Strangelove server was running it my curiousity had been piqued) and it is very user friendly (on the x86 side anyhow). The only distro I've found to be more user friendly is Mandrake(MMRA runs Mandrake 9); it is also RPM based. Finally, unless you are some very patient, disturbed übergeek I would recommend that you avoid Gentoo; it is a source-based distribution, meaning that 99% of your software is built from source code when it is installed. I ran Gentoo for about 4 months on my main pc; It took 2 weeks to get a GUI Interface set up on it, and about a month more until I had the apps that I needed to actually use the box. What is the advantage? When you build your software to be optimized for the particular processor that they will be running on, you see a 10 - 20% increase in responsiveness (read:pc seems a little faster). Its not worth the hassle IMHO. BTW, where have you guys been? You need to come up to SSR1 and ride some missle sometime!<br>I hope that this helps.<br> <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]