It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home Sick for SRA?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:21 am 
Site Admin

With the blessing from our beloved OverLord Schwantz, I have added 28 of the maps from the Original SRA to CG. Let me say that after actually looking at the 42 maps I downloaded from his site that I only added the easy ones. The Boss must have had a hell of a time over the years delivering to you the other 15-25 multifile maps that are too troublesome for me to add at this time. For those of you that like to download them yourselves, rather than from my server, you can get them here:<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://schwantz.50megs.com/filespage.html">schwantz.50megs.com/filespage.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>Let me take a sec to thank Schwantz for giving me permission to use his maps and to thank him for all of the hassle it had to have been to offer us such a wide selection of hard maps, skins, mods and voicepacks to manage. Here's a quick lesson. Maps can come in several formats; single file, multifile, both versions zipped, in a umod, and or in a zipped umod. The single file maps are easy because all I have to do is compress it, put it on the web server and copy the original into the server map folder the restart the game. Easy! All of the other versions require, unzipping, copying and pasting several files into several different folders compress several different kinds of files and trying to remember which files go with which maps. These are the kinds of maps that cause the dreaded "Mismatch File" error. I have about 5 maps total on the server that are multifile maps like Titatania. Schwantz had over 15-20 on SRA. A ton of trouble to maintain in my opinion. So again Boss, thanks for all the trouble you put up with for us. So if you request a map, PLEASE try to be sure it's a single file map. That means the content of the zip will be something like "mapname.unr" and txt, jpg, ini are also ok. It's the files that have extensions like .u, .umx, .utx, .int and .uax that are hard to manage.<br><br>I'm pleased to say that many of the most popular maps were single file maps and those are the ones I put on to CG. If you have a map you want me to put on let me know. I just upgraded my web space from 200MB to 1/2GB so I have plenty of room now. I will develop my website soon I hope and will actually be able to offer the maps from it as well. <br><br>SKINS! These are logistical nightmares just as multifile maps are. I said I would put skins on when I got the room. I have it now so if you have a skin that you just must have please send it to me. Don't think for a minute that I'm going to let you change your mind about what skin you want all the time either. I don't have the time for that. Sorry! I'm anxious to get Bo's skin up to be honest though. The problem with skins is that for every skin I put up, every person who ever attaches to CG will have to download them. If I have too many, you can kiss the 56kers goodbye totally. You can kiss at least 1/2 the newbies goodbye too. So yes, what I'm saying here is that SKINS and VOICEPACKS ARE BAD even though I' love Bo's. <br><br><br>Hermskii <p></p><i></i>

Hermskii,

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Home Sick for SRA?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

<br>It was great to play some of Schwantz's old maps on CG! And even better to have the boss drop in and frag a bit.<br><br>I think you should steer clear of boutique skins and voicepacks. Of course, you do have superfast downloads going, and that makes anything possible for the broadbanders, but as you say, the 56kers will disappear, and that is very very bad.<br><br>Not only do we have some distinguished 56kers, but I think we need to keep the door open for newbie 56kers. They are a major source of fresh-meat revenue. Even the new maps are straining the immigration of new fodder. <p><br><SRA>/v/ahatma</p><i></i>

Report this post
 Post subject: Keep it simple
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:55 pm 

I think you should keep it simple Herm. We have all seen most of the skins and heard most of the voice packs before so it's not like we're missing out on anything and it's like Mah said, it allows for all the 56k newbies to come to the slaughter. I would rotate maybe one new skin or voice in every once and a while just to change things up . <p></p><i></i>

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]