It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I didn't know it was illegal.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:14 pm 

Are you on this list?

http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/stor ... 00,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:28 pm 

You know, I am divided on this issue. On the one hand, I see the industry's point. People are getting the music for free. On the other hand, I think that almost $20 for a CD is outrageous!
You go to the CD store, find a CD of an artist you like and gamble that the CD is good. That is an expensive gamble, as a lot of the stuff out there is CRAP. :-x
Personally, I will download enough of the CD to know if it is worth the purchase. To my ear, a downloaded song does not have the quality of a CD. Since this is being taken away, I guess I will not be buying too many CD's in the future. The music industry can lick my left one. :P
You know what else bothers me... For MANY years now, we can record a song from the radio and do with it as we please. Some stations even play whole CDs without interuption... HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:49 pm 

I completely agree with ya Jarg. That's why I've ripped all my CD's to Mp3 and now buy any new stuff I like from the Apple Music store. I was in Borders the other day and almost died when I saw the prices of an album. And you know damn well there is only going to be 1 or 2 songs on the album that are worth listening to. I think I can count on my fingers the number of Albums I love front to back.
As far as quality goes your probably right. I'm pretty much deaf from years of Metal & hardcore so It's not that much of an issue to me anymore. The music Industry has itself to blame for this debacle now. If they had just embraced the technology they could be rolling in the cash instead of having people trying to get something for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:46 pm 

Whats Mah's gender?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:26 pm 

i'm not on the list what i dload i do not share except with you guys but i will not be dloading for awhile just to be on the safe side
i bought a cd single a few months and got a totally different girl singing with the dude what's up with that

this all sux ass people should just let us dloaders be

hotts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:57 pm 

Don't ya wonder why you can buy a $60,000,000 block buster movie on DVD for $14.95 but a 13 track CD that only has 2, maybe 3 tracks woth lstening to costs$20.00? Who's not making money?

They tapped that 19 year old student for $12,000. You know theres all kinds of people in this world hows it going to look when the push the wrong individual were that amount of money is so devistating that to them, life is no longer worth living, or even worse, that plus they decide to take some of the rats with them. It wouldn't be right but it wouldn't be a first either.

BH,
Depending on the folder you keep your music in, it may be shared every time you log on to your p2p source. I havn't shared anything but public domain items in months. I would also recommend if your going to download do it from sources outside the US. Just my 2 bits.

Caio, Skank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah I heard about that college student. Man that's bullshit, imho.

Skank what is the safest way, as of now? Going to an offshore website using your Anonymizer proxy? Are you still using any of the p2p software like Kazaa Lite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:40 pm 

skank after i dload anything it all goes into my winamp folder and i delete it from the folder where it goes after i dload i copy and paste the song to my winamp so all music i dload goes to one folder then i switch it to another then delete from the folder and the recycle bin do you understand this i hope so i got my self lost also and when i dload anything from kazaa it shows on the buttom of the page not sharing any files igto enough music anyways so i'm done dloading till shit calms down

bh

p.s max come online i need your help a second when you get a chance thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:18 pm 

Maybe they should just switch back to LP's and 45 singles to keep the prices down, and make it a little harder to get a song onto a computer. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:20 am 

Oh BOY! I'm going to get unpopular now LOL.

My attitude about sharing MP3 is that they should all get their collective butts sued back to the stone age ( but that's just me )

But on the other side of the coin.

If your going to do it, DON"T USE SHARE PROGRAMS!

Napster, WinMX, etc. can be tracked ( both the uploader AND everyone downloading copies.

My recommendation, USENET ( newsgroups ). It's impossible to track who is downloading what from a newsgroup do to the distributed nature of USENET :D

Let the flames begin :oops:

MickeyM©

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:33 am 

Naaahhhh. I don't think anyone here will dislike you for your stance. I actually don't know why the record industry just doesn't go after file sharing programs just like they did with napster. Make it difiicult for people to commit the "crime". It's like dumping a bowl full of candy in front of a 5 year old and telling them they can't eat it. I personally don't like the fact that people are swapping entire albums that have just been put out. No matter what way you cut it it's wrong. But.........the record company did create this monster.
The record companies stated back when CD's first came out that the price would drop once they caught on. Well as we all know it never happened. Look at all the other technologies out there. Prices are dropping constantly on stuff like memory, computers, car stereos, etc, etc, etc, but not on the Compact Disc. What's a disc cost to create anyway. 12 cents maybe. Like I said before if the industry had just embraced the technology they would be in great shape. They wouldnt need to spend as much money on advertising, design work for album covers as well as the cost of the CD's, jewel cases and not to mention the money they spend on shipping all this stuff to stores. How much does it cost to drop a music file onto a server? can't be a whole hell of a lot.
I usually try to take a side rather then straddle the fence but on this one both sides are in the wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Wait, get back to the other question: What's the safest way to get the stuff you want to sample before buying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:18 am 

Mah

Try here...
http://www.mp3.com/

Or just do a Google search on "MP3"

Or check out the "binaries" newsgroups

MickeyM©

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:23 pm 

For the most part, I use the p2p to get songs from CDs I already have, have bought and lost or destroyed, or songs that I just can't find anywhere. I have disabled my filesharing non the less.

Max hit my point exactly. It is ridiculous, the price of a cd. It cost nearly nothing to make and for the most part it is crap. I only buy cds that I have heard someone else play already. Who is getting rich here. I admit, song writters and singers who make excellent works should receive ample compensation for their efforts
Gold records = 500000 sales. Times $20 = $10,000,000
I think that is a little more than ample compenstaion for a cd it took a week to record. But I am sure the majority of that cash goes to RIAA. (explains a lot huh)

It is completely ridiculous. For instance, Charlie's Angel's 2, cost 185,000,000 to produce and it only has brought in 89,200,000 so far...ouch. You want to know why? Look at how much the actors and actresses are getting paid. Cameron Diaz will earn $20 million (before her back-end deal kicks in). OUCH. Do you call that ample compensation. This in the days of 15 minute famers and people who don't have any talent....but won a contest and are famous. People ask whats wrong with the country...

I for one, am now boycotting all cds. I have no plans to ever buy another. Cheaper to get satelite radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:05 pm 

If you like classical music, check out the Naxos brand of cd's. Very good recordings by competent orchestras, and reasonably priced cd's.