It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Grrrrrr Maxtor!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I've lost another Maxtor hard drive. This is the second 80gig Maxtor in 6 months. I like them for the ease of their RMA program but I'd rather not have to do this twice a year. What kind of hard drive do you have? Have a story about the kind you don't like? I'm interested. I can't believe this is happeneing again! I have old crappy hard drives that are ten years old that are still perfect.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:56 pm 

Squirrely just lost two 120GIG drives. Guess what - Maxtor! They were less then 6 months old. Must be crappy quality.

I think most of them die the heat death. I separated my disks appart and installed a extra fan for them. He did the same and it looks OK now - FWIW

I also will only buy IBM/Hitachi. Had good results with them over the years.

N6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Western Digital isn't that bad, and the price is often right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:31 am 

I killed my western Dig but my 3 maxtors are fine. Go figure. I hope I don't have the same luck with the Maxtors that you guys are experiencing. Perhaps now would be a good time to back up. :?

Post subject: Western Digital all the way
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:37 am 

Been a Western Digital fan for a good long time now. Been using them for about 7 or 8 years now and am still using an old 4 gig that I had in an old PI 200 I had once apon a time. Maxtor makes a good drive so I really don't understand why your eatting one up every 6 months. Question tho.......the other ones that crapped out where they all on the same machine with the same hardware? Just curious.

|<idcapri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:17 pm 

Another board I go to had many reports of a sudden drop in quality of Maxtor drives. This started to be reported just over six months ago, as I recall. Something's gone seriously wrong at Maxtor, perhaps. Maybe they bought out Seagate? After all the grief a seagate drive gave me years ago, I won't have another. Their reputation was bad back then too, as I found out too late.

The IBM is still working nicely in my old Dell PII 300. The WD in this Dell has given no probs so far. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:33 pm 

Just as a thought, might want to check the voltage and current on you power supply. Is your power supply really old? Could be a voltage or current spike that caused the failure...may also be your house power. Might consider an UPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:47 pm 

Whats Mah's gender?

Post subject: Maxtor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

I'm on a UPS already. The board that the drives failed on is this one I have with the three bad cap on it. I checked the other 80 gig and it seems fine. I bought an XP2700 today for $100 from a fiend and am picking up 768mb PC3000 ram next month. I will RMA this board and drive then and build a new system then. CG is safe but HOH will be history during the rebuild. Good question to ask Kidcapri...about the hardware I mean....Thanks. i'll replace this hard drive with another Maxtor but if it happens after I'm on the new board, I'm switching back to Western Digital. This is a total of three bad Maxtors in three years with two different boards. This is a Epox 8K3A+. Last was a Abit KT7A Riad which is still running perfectly with a Maxtor drive in it.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:39 pm 

GOOD LUCK HERM WITH THAT PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:28 pm 

Location: atop the watch tower on Phobos Moon (North Carolina)
one thing I would add is look out for the short warranty.. most of your regular drives are now down to a year or two.. they used to be three years. I've been a Maxtor person for several years (have 4 Maxtors running in 3 machines currently). but ever since Maxtor, Western Digital, and others cut their warranty to 1 year, I've decided that my next drive would be a Western Digital with 8MB cache, which still has the three-year warranty. I used to like Quantum hard drives, they're sturdy and fast. but I think they're part of Maxtor now.. I've had two Seagate hard drives and I'm not impressed with either of them.

- clemmentine (and, um, another name that has nothing to do with piggy..)

East or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
This way could be my book of days.
-- from "Book of Days" by Enya

Post subject: Good
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Good input Clem. Thanks! I like that 8mg buffer too. Maybe I will make the switch to western digital.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, i used to like Seagate too, but they are indeed owned by Maxturd.

Herm, make sure the WDs you buy are the 8 MB cache ones. They are the ones with the 3 year warranty (which Clem was referring to).

Post subject: Sold!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

I spoke to a cousin of mine who has three of each. He has had to replace two of the Maxtors. All of the Western Digitals are still good. I switched to Maxtor a few years ago because I had a Western Digital 4.3 drive go south. I had a little trouble with the RMA. I heard Maxtor has a good RMA so I switched. It's true! Maxtor has a good RMA plan but I'd rather that the drive just didn't break in the first place so I wouldn't have to return it. Looks like I'm going back to WD. Thank you all and Mah, I will get the 8 meg ones too. I noticed the email post is gone Mah. I tried to reply to your email you sent and it had fatal errors still???

Hermskii,