It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: PC or MacPowerbook:NewtitleCHEAP HIGHEND LAPTOP!
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:41 pm 

I have given up all hope of ever being able to keep up with this forum, but I wanted to take a minute to give a big thanks to Mah. Earlier today someone jumped in with (what I thought was) a particularly rotten racist name. I asked him to change it; silence in return. So I asked Mah to kick him which Mah did immediately, no questions asked. I know others with that "authoritie" (say like Cartman -- "You will respect my authoritie!") would have done the same.

Over the past couple of months there's been a bit of disagreement among the group (no small amount involving me). I just wanted to say that underneath it all I think we're a pretty good-hearted group, and it's nice to be part of that.

cf

ps: That aside, can't we p*l*e*a*s*e make it so when there is a space between words, the censor doesn't eliminate it and turn the message into gibberish? Today's example: "Who removed.....?" translated to "$&*@#moved....?" (As an aside, I didn't even know "whore" was on the list.) Ditto when the offending word is actually part of another word -- don't even try to spell "assassinate."

Post subject: Racist name huh?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I didn't even think of that as a word to block. It's not in my vocabulary so I missed it. In case the name used a different word than the one I'm thinking of, could you send me an email with the name to Hermskii@Houston.RR.Com? Thanks! Also, I will go ahead and turn off the chat filter for a little bit. Beware! This means people will be able to cuss at full vulgar strength. I know some of you are secretly opposed to this based on thank you notes I've received for using the filter. Mah, thank you for watching over everyone and booting folks as needed! I am going to leave the "profanity in name filter" on though. Let me know how this little change goes for all of you. I'm not going to make the change until the servers crashes again. That should be late this week sometime. Jinx!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Herm the profanity filter is pretty damn funny. Fod had to spell it "wh0 removed the ..." in order to get away with "who re" -- a secret message he intended to convey to all of us women. I think it's pretty funny to get the crazies on, who are used to typing and talking a lot of trash, and watching them get the warning message!!!

Thx Fod, that was a pretty heinous name, and for all those who are concerned, Fod did ask him to change his name politely. It is a gesture that is probably wasted on someone who is interested in using a name with the N-word in it, but it is what lawyers call "due process," right? :lol:

Let's rock!

Post subject: $&*@#
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:56 pm 

Yeah, how ya like my name :D $&*@#-$&*@#$&*@#IN I could just change my name to something else everytime I log in, but that would really become big pain in the $&*@#.

Post subject: Whoops
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:10 pm 

Hey Herm if it's all or nothing in the word filter please leave it on. Maybe I missed a post (or 2,000) -- I thought this was something you had built & made the list for. I would be happy to live without the a-word, the w-word, and the z-word (advanced cursing only) if it means no f-word and no s-word. (Why do I feel like I'm talking the Zoom language?)

cf

Post subject: Ubby
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:16 pm 

Ubby wubby zubby tubby.

Post subject: Linguistics
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:22 pm 

Personally I always thought that thing was a fraud. Especially because they wanted you to send money to get the "instructions."

I believe the language itself derives from Jackie Gleason, "Hum-a-nuh, hum-a-nuh, hum-a-nuh......." Or Fred Flintstone, whose cheer was an obvious homage to the Zoom language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm still pissed that I can't call Mah a DICK! I have to call him a Richard..

Oh well..

CensorSchwantz

Post subject: No worries Schwantz
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:54 am 

I believe that "weiner" is not blocked; also, "wee willie" seems to get through OK. I believe there is a list of other synonyms floating around this forum . . . . . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cf

Post subject: DooDoo
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:11 am 

I think we should all make it a point to use words and phrases like "You poo poo face" or "Weenie head" while playing on CG. :D

Post subject: An interesting turn of events
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:26 am 

Please note how this thread, which began as "Thank you, Mah," has evolved into a venue for insulting Mah. This seems to happen with a lot of threads; I wonder whether insulting Mah is our lowest common denominator.

On second thought, we probably do it just because it's so easy. And fun.

:wink:

cf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:33 am 
Site Admin

lol

:oops:

Post subject: popularity
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:43 am 

He/She's a celebrity in our eyes. It comes with the territory. :D

Post subject: Filter works tooo well I see
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:15 am 

Yeah the filter has made me laugh a few times. Last time was when Fluffy the Bunny aka Skank was on. After he told me who he was I promptly said WASSSSSSSSUP! and got the W#$@#$#@$#@#$UP! It was good for a laugh. I can see the word ass getting the $@# but figured with the extra characters that it would let it thru....guess I was wrong. :lol:

HEHEHEH......from word filters to bashing Mah......talk about a thread going out of wack. Guess the Mac comments will be next. :lol: :lol: :lol:

|<idcapri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:52 am 
Site Admin

OK, here's something to start the age-old debate again.

I'm getting ready to buy another laptop. I want at least a 15" screen, a mobile processor (doesn't necessarily have to be the centrino Pentium-M), 512 MB Ram, and preferably above 2.0 Ghz.

I ask this seriously: SHould I consider a Mac, and why? Is paying the extra $1500 or so really going to show me rewards down the road? Is performance comparable (like benchmarks etc)?

For the PC crowd: what laptop would you recommend? Anyone here have the Dell Inspiron 1100 or the 5100? How about the Sony Vaio?