It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: CG and HOH revival expectations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I figure that I will turn my servers back on this coming Sunday afternoon, (June 15th). I've enjoyed a great 2 weeks with my nephew and will be sorry to see him leave. Still, I'm excited about getting the servers up and running again. I hope I'll still have some regulars left after all of this down time. The other Redeemer Arena servers sure have been busy! They seem to run very smooth and new maps are always a big plus! I wish mine could give out the great pings like the other servers do. I'm sure I'll get to play with many of you on them this weekend and I look forward to it. See you then!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:36 am 

i'll be there :D .

[::tsu::]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:43 am 

only waiting for cg to be turned back on herm cya there
Dark :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:33 am 

I'll be there herm just waiting for you too flip the switch.

Y.F.F. XX_MAN 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Green light!

Post subject: Soon!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'm counting down sort of. There's around 30 hrs. left.

Hermskii,

Post subject: 5 hours tops
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:23 am 
Site Admin

CG will be back up by end of day. I checked all of the other servers this morning. I used a perfectly blank install and tried to connect to each of them. Kidcapri's Redeemer Remix and Missile Madness were each willing to send the EpicCustomModels package but neither do it with a fast redirect. Nuclear Winter and SRA each refused to send the EpicCustomModel package all together. Why do I mention this? Two scenerios I can think of that will stop players from connecting:

1. A person has to rebuild the PC and forgets to install all of the bonus packages. In this case, they will not be able to connect to Nuclear Winter and SRA at all. They will be able to connect to Missile Madness and Kidcapri's but they will have to wait to download all of the bonus pack files which they won't do that ever. That's over 30 minutes with a high speed connection.

2. The player is a total newb and doesn't even know what Bonus Packs are. The same scenerio applies for them as the above mentioned one. So they won't ever show up either.

Possible Solution?: Edit your UT.ini file so that the redirect like looks like this:

RedirectToURL=http://Hermskii.com/UZ/

Other possible solutions:

Compress all of the BonusPack files and put them up to where you are redirecting from.

Set AllowDownload to true so they can at least get them in the event they don't already have them and you don't have a fast redirect.

The only problem I see with pointing them to my webserver is I would be surprised if all of my files have the same upper and lower case as what you have in your UT.ini. Still, I think it's worth it to get most of them downloaded super fast. This also won't work well if you already have a fast redirect and use different skins or maps for obvious reasons. I don't have all the cool stuff that many of you are using right now.

I have a bad feeling that CG will still have probs after the nephew leaves today. We'll see. If I do, there's a chance I may blow off the serving part of UT. Kidcapri and I are working on a high speed solution for his server and it will be ready to rock by end of month. SRA is solid as hell right now and the boss has been adding maps and such so it will be the one I play on most. Linux=Good apparently. Missile Madness is always stable/available and has all the makings of the perfect server for the newbs to get the skills up to par before being slaughtered by the regs on the other servers. Deadsun has his own group of regulars and they are getting good! Finally, Nuclear Winter has Bo running the show where perfection and mass options will be his order of the day. All those new maps rule. If he continues with his current stride he will have the biggest baddest most fun Redeemer Arena I think that any of us with have ever seen. That may already be the case too. Say a prayer for CG. I wonder if the old junker is even going to start back up? LOL. Have a good one.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Herm:

Another interesting situation about the linux server is that if it crashes, it seems to recover and go back to the first map.. that is a nice feature...

Schwantz

Post subject: Rub it in!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

I just may have to go the linux route someday. I've heard nothing but good about it the whole time. There is a batch file that will reboot the server if it crashes using windows but you have to start the server using a batch file. I never figured out how to do it like that. I never really tried either. That alone will be the next thing I try to learn how to do. I know there are tons of files out there that explain how but I've always been content with my current process. Does Linus have a minimum processor requirement?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Linux requires less in the way of processor power.. I was running the UT server on a 500 mhz processor with 256mb ram.