It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Little help please :-)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:46 pm 

Cause:
1) I ran Ad-aware 6.0 (a great program) to locate and isolate spyware on my computer at work. I do this quite often at home and work.

2) I deleted the quarantine file (prematurely it would appear).

Effect:
1) My work computer can no longer find the internet. Even after re-installing windows and going back through the internet options. Have tryed Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, AIM, Limewire.

2) None of my media players recognize any of the music or video media. Actually they (Real1, Windows Media Player, Limewire) refuse to open.

Side note:
1) My work computer still communicates fine with the server.

Lesson learned:
1) Don't delete the quarantine file until your sure everything still works reasonably well.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.
Your friendly neighborhood computer f'er up'r, Skank

Post subject: One question..
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:01 pm 

What version of Windows do you use?

I too use Ad Aware 6, but I have not had this issue rear it's ugly head... It is also strange that it still affects you after a re-install...
You should try Spy Bot as well.

Post subject: OS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:05 pm 

The operating system on that puter is Windows 98.

Thanks juggsie, Skank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Skank,

I can't imagine what it was that Adaware deleted that caused this. In my experience, Adaware has been great at merely removing things like cookies and spyware like Gator etc.

Have you had a look at your network settings? Perhaps something got changed there, although I can't imagine how.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Post subject: Another question..
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:55 pm 

Was the deleted file a regestry entry?
Nah, that still can't be it, cause then the re-install would have taken care of that...
What could be deleted that would take out IE, WMP, Real1, and Livewire but still let you be able to use the computer normaly?
If it were Win NT or XP, I would think that the most likely culprit would be a process that had been terminated. I have not worked with 98SE in a while.
Have you imaged the machine lately?

Post subject: :-)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:42 pm 

Yeah it's really weird. I can't get on the net but my 'puter will still communicate with the server.

Excuse me, but what is "imaged”?

Files deleted, have to go by memory. There were 27 items. 1 was a folder, there were maybe 4 or 5 files there. Maybe 8 or so cookies, you know the usual crap. The balances were registry keys and values.

I'm not always that stupid, deleting the quarantined files before making sure everything’s still cool.

Heck just today, at work one of the guys was all proud of himself. Said he got an email from his nephew about a virus that Norton and McAfee could not find and he removed it from his computer. I looked at him with a smirk and asked if he thought it odd that the pros (Norton and McAfee) couldn’t tackle this new virus, but anyone could use “Find” to search their hard drive and remove the file themselves? The look on his face was priceless. I sent him back to his computer to search the Internet for that file name. The 1st hits all referenced hoax. He chewed his nephews butt, sent fallow up email to everyone he warned to ignore his previous warning. I copied the file from my system folder to replace his an all is well.

The best part is I’ll tease and ride him about this all week. Ya gotta look for the good.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:56 am 

Sorry to hear about the trouble, been using ad aware 6 for a bit now on win 98 had no trouble hope you get it sorted never used the quarentine tho just go straight for the kill and delete. :?

Seen same thing posted to a news group about year ago
virus alert virus alert norton/mcafee cant stop this virus but don't panic all you have to do is go to windows explorer and search for *** and delete it though there its that simple and will save you time and money replacing hard drives...
under that message were more then a few saying that if they ever got there hands on him he wouldnt live long and one reply that just said
*yea but who were the idiots that did it just on his word*
:D :D :D :D dark :twisted:

Post subject: Hallo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:32 pm 

Yo! Skank. I think the only way you could make your computer work well and go on to the internet is by formating and install back rather than reinstalling windows. Before you format your hard drive, save you files first aight. Trust me because you will start like if it was a new puter.

SAYINMAN