It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I got a new cooler!
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

My gaming PC has been locking up due to overheating. This has been a prob for a long time now as some of you have noticed me quickly disappear from a game without so much as a "Later". This is no longer going to be the case. I thought I posted this before but I guess it is another post that just mysteriously disappeared. Not saying it's the forums fault, I'm saying that sometimes i push the wrong button and lose everything. I told Mah i'd post this info back when i was testing the new fan.

It is made by a company called Speeze, ( www.speeze.com). You can read about it's specs by google searching for the model number of "5F263B1M3". The fan itself is large. It only spins at 2,900 RPM. It is made with being quiet in mind. With my old fan, a Volcano 6, I had to leave the side of the case off and the PC idled at 62C. With the new fan on and the side of the case on too, I idle at 55C and game at 63C. I haven't overheated once since I put the new fan on and it is much more quiet now too! I'm very pleased.

The fan is designed to meet the requirements of my XP2100 chip so don't think that because it works for me it will for you. Be sure that any fan you ever switch to is made for your chip or you may ruin your processor. No more disappearing midgame from me locking up! Later all!

Hermskii,

Post subject: Re: I got a new cooler!
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:45 pm 

Hermskii wrote:
My gaming PC has been locking up due to overheating. This has been a prob for a long time now as some of you have noticed me quickly disappear from a game without so much as a "Later". This is no longer going to be the case. I thought I posted this before but I guess it is another post that just mysteriously disappeared. Not saying it's the forums fault, I'm saying that sometimes i push the wrong button and lose everything. I told Mah i'd post this info back when i was testing the new fan.

It is made by a company called Speeze, ( www.speeze.com). You can read about it's specs by google searching for the model number of "5F263B1M3". The fan itself is large. It only spins at 2,900 RPM. It is made with being quiet in mind. With my old fan, a Volcano 6, I had to leave the side of the case off and the PC idled at 62C. With the new fan on and the side of the case on too, I idle at 55C and game at 63C. I haven't overheated once since I put the new fan on and it is much more quiet now too! I'm very pleased.

The fan is designed to meet the requirements of my XP2100 chip so don't think that because it works for me it will for you. Be sure that any fan you ever switch to is made for your chip or you may ruin your processor. No more disappearing midgame from me locking up! Later all!

Are you overclocking ?

N6

Post subject: Nope!
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not overclocking. This is the part where you say that you boot up and idle at 28C right? I know that I'm still running hot but I'm in specification now and the lock ups are gone. I think. The problem before was too much dust on the fan and possibly a bad seating on the chip with the fan not to mention it was only rated for an XP1700. I've done this for a while now and if it's still seated wrong, I don't know why. Post your temps. I'm curious how off I am at this point. On my old KT7A mobo, I could idle at 89F granted the fan was a jet engine sounding beast. This is quiet now! N6, don't make me feel too bad ok? LOL

Hermskii,

Post subject: Re: Nope!
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:23 am 

Hermskii wrote:
I'm not overclocking. This is the part where you say that you boot up and idle at 28C right? I know that I'm still running hot but I'm in specification now and the lock ups are gone. I think. The problem before was too much dust on the fan and possibly a bad seating on the chip with the fan not to mention it was only rated for an XP1700. I've done this for a while now and if it's still seated wrong, I don't know why. Post your temps. I'm curious how off I am at this point. On my old KT7A mobo, I could idle at 89F granted the fan was a jet engine sounding beast. This is quiet now! N6, don't make me feel too bad ok? LOL

I had the same problem with the dust in the cooling fins. My CPU temp wouls rise over time.

The Athlon XP 2000+ would run at 49C in idle and 52C. The new 2500+ runs at about 48C and overclocked at about 51C.

I am using the heatsink that came with the AMD Box/Processor.

N6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:24 am 
Site Admin

lol

Herm you could fry bacon and eggs inside your computer. :lol:

I am overclocking one of my computers, but I can't deal with the noise anymore. It sounds like a jet engine. I will look into buying one of those quiet fans. How did you find out about them Herm? Were they recommended to you?

Post subject: LORD! Do all AMDs get that hot?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:42 am 

Wow Herm! I thought you played on a computer and not an oven LOL. I have always used Pentiums so when it comes to AMDs I'm at a lose. My 1.8 Ghz P4 never gets over 41 C even after a couple of hours worth of gaming with just the stock cooler Intel supplies with the chip. At idle it runs around 33 C. I knew AMDs tended to run alittle bit hotter but that just blows me away. Guess alot of the heat problems may have to do with that little bitty heat spreader they have on the tops of those chips. You would figure they would try and make them alittle bigger due to heat issues but I guess that is what makes the chips alot easier on the pocket book.

Ever thought of water cooling or buy a refrigerator for that thing? :lol:

Glad ya finally got the heat problem sorted out enuff to keep her stable.

|<idcapri