It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: For Server Admins
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Do us and yourselves a huge favor. Install a Plain UT Install. This consist of the game and nothing but the 436 patch. No Bonus Packs and no extra skins or anything. Just the install and the 436 patch. Name the player TestPlayer and try to connect to your own server. This will quickly show you which redirects are not working. Fix them all, one at a time. When you think you are done, go to the PlainInstall\UnrealTournament\System folder and delete the Cache folder and all of the files called cachexxxx.tmp too. Now try again to connect to your server.

I consider this a must prior to putting a server on line. This is the best way to make sure you did it right before we see that you didn't do it right. Save us and yourself a lot of trouble by doing this. Again, the most important thing is that it be a plain install with nothing but the 436 patch. Try it! You'll see waht I'm talking about and you'll use this method from now on. Thanks!

Hermskii,

Post subject: Admin page
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:25 am 

Here's a thought herm. Maybe you and Schwantz can post the things you should and shouldn't do as Admins. We'll make a whole page dedicated to just Admin stuff.

Post subject: Schweeeeeeeet!
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like a great idea. That will keep me busy forever.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:42 am 
Site Admin

I think Herm is directing this at me and my servers. Point taken but I no longer run servers as a religion and do my best to keep them up.

I am having trouble getting the UT Server to redirect properly. I can't for the life of me figure out why but I disagree that the server shouldn't be on line until it's perfect. If this is the way Herm wants to operate, that's great. I work differently.

I ran thru every file on the ut2k3 server and found 3 files that wouldn't download. all of these had spaces in the file name. I didn't know how to fix it so i removed the maps. I don't have the time to continually do this by re-installing the client. I have to hope that my users will understand that I might miss the odd map for fast download and they will let me know and I'll try to fix it.

I apologize if my servers aren't perfect, but I hope you'll still play on them. The only reason I put the new UT server up was incase CG crashed or someone wanted a server they could curse on! :twisted:

LessThanPerfect Schwantz

Post subject: holy smokes!
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:06 pm 

ROTFLMAO!!!! Holy smokes you sound fired up Boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah.. well I forgot my geritol this morning. I just remember that old SRA ran over one year without fast downloads. It worked OK . I think its great that Herm got me going with redirection but if I'd waited till SRA was perfect, I don't think there ever would have been a server, forum and this community.

Herm's ideas are sound but I would encourage everyone who wants to experiment to do so and do your best and above all else... Have Fun! This isn't a business but a hobby.

Jump off soapbox.

LessThanPerfectServerOp Schwantz
:roll:

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:53 pm 

OK. That sounds Like a "NO" on the Admin Page. :D

Post subject: Re: Nope
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:14 pm 

<SRA>Maximus wrote:
OK. That sounds Like a "NO" on the Admin Page. :D

I would say YES on the admin page. At least we can share howto get a server running and avoid the same mistakes.

N6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

I wasn't saying NO to the admin page at all. Just kindly disagreeing with some of Herm's server operations philosopy. If you going to do a server admin offshoot forum, you may want to make Herm or one of the other server ops a moderator.

I have no problem with a server admin forum subject or weeb page..

Schwantz

Post subject: Not at all Boss
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:19 am 
Site Admin

I try to go to all of the servers everyday. If something doesn't work on one of them, I email the problem as everyone who serves has asked us to. I do go a little extreme with my practices but I certainly don't think it makes me a better admin. I think it makes me a paranoid one. You, DeadSun, Torp, and Slayed can all validate this being I send messages to each of you regularly. My suggestion was just a fix all extreme measure. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with it. Sorry.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:01 am 
Site Admin

no feathers ruffled my friend. I was just sharing my opinion. Just because we don't agree on every nuance of server ops doesn't mean that we can't keep helping and advising.

I just wanted to spout my opinion on a couple of your comments.

Hope no feathers ruffled on your end either. Hope you trip is enjoyable with all the cows.

Schwantz

Post subject: My bad
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:31 am 
Site Admin

I'm back!!! I'm very glad to CG held up over the weekend. I thought I'd have high speed there but there was only a phone line. I never had any time to connect and see what was going on. I road horses, 4-wheelers, drank plenty of beer, sunburned myself to a crisp, shot a Houston Police semi-automatic 12 gage shotgun, a 38 special revolver, 40 cal. pistol and a hair-trigger .45 pistol. I had a blast to say the least. I visited with Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents in laws and friends. Even with all of that, I missed everyone here a ton.

I was in a big hurry on the day I left out of town and had typed up a huge, specific, precise document to post when I accidently hit something wrong and lost the whole thing. I was very mad at that moment. Then I posted this thread quickly before the wife ran me out the door. After rereading my post post, I see I sound pretty full of myself and my tecniques. I am very sorry for the way it came across. I was already pissed at losing the original post and the wife was rushing me. Again this is my bad and I very humbly apologize to all.

For now on, I'll try to word it as what I do rather than what anyone else should do. The Boss is right in that this is a hobby and not a job. This should be fun and not a pain. You should experiment and please post about your successes. I'm going to post this and come back to it later to ensure that it gets up before I click the wrong thing and lose it. Sorry for the way the first post was written and Boss, there are no ruffled feathers here, just a lot of red ones on my face from the shame. Later!

Hermskii,