It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Problems with UT 99
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 pm 

I have been noticing that UT99 is unhappy ever since the new vid card went in. A full reinstall of the game did not help.

Problems seen so far:

I had to change to D3D from OpenGL because I lost the ability to adjust gamma in game otherwise. This is despite enabling it under OpenGl in preferences.

If someone pm's me on Yahoo or MSN, the game locks up solid.

I cannot minimize the game. It locks up. Going to ctrl-alt-del will eventually cause it to go to a small window on the desktop, by which time I just close it because it will probably just funk up more anyway.

The game does not quit cleanly. When I quit the game, the music you get on the UT desktop continues for a few minutes afterwards. I usually end up going to ctrl-alt-del to find UT still running, and shut it up that way.

I have heard of some of these problems happening to other people in the past, so this is not completely unique to me, and may have nothing to do with my vid card.

I have also gotten two blue screens of death from playing UT99 to date.

After the first one the error message related to the file: ATIKVMAG.dll

The second time it was ATI2DVAG that was the problem file.

Suggestions?

Btw, I got a new power supply for Xmas, and it will be going into the PC very soon! :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:29 pm 

I can't help rest but for music that easy fix . Made sure you change to this to LocalMap=CityIntro.unr
You have intro again but as soon it start just hit key Esc key.
I forget you need UT ini notepad change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:55 pm 

I going ask dumb question is there OpenGL for Radeon card ?

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, there is opengl capable Radeon cards. All of them in fact. I wish I had an answer for you Nameless but I don't. Best suggestion is to get away from ATI hardware all together but I know it is too sweet a card to pass up on.

Get the latest drivers for the card from ATI or whoever actually made your card. For me, it was Saphire website. Reinstall drivers, then reinstall UT doing it per my manual on my home page link. Let us know how it turns out. When was the last time you erased your hard drive and started from scratch? I like to do that about every 2-3 years. Later!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 am 

try the ati forums they helped me when i had ati all i had to do was roll back to an early version of the drivers i never used to update the catalyst center because it caused so many problems, in the end i sorted it by getting nvidia now i have dual 8800gtx and havent had an issue since swapping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:03 am 

Did you update the Open GL file inside UT ??? if not this could be the problem the one that comes with ut as standard isn't very good.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 pm 

DARKMATTER wrote:
Did you update the Open GL file inside UT ??? if not this could be the problem the one that comes with ut as standard isn't very good.....

From what I've read and the troubles that I've had trying to run open GL with the 9800 ati card, it's not a match made in heaven for sure !! Give up and go d3d and just get on with it!! ATI cards aren't good with open GL from what I've read in different forums....Nvidia is better for that render

Chef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:38 am 

ATI Driver 07.12 this is the new one

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:22 am 

[quote="{§ÎR}Ã

Post subject: D3D vs D3D8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

D3D vs D3D8

These are not the same at all. One is standard D3D which really works well for almost everyone. D3D8 is a modified D3D renderer that somehow incorporates OpenGL like features allowing it to use larger textures "I THINK"

So a failsafe renderer for anyone to use with any card except a Voodoo card is D3D.

If you want to have OpenGL "like" performance and image quality, you can try D3D8 but expect to have some issues somewhere along the line.

I hope I'm right about this but I just wanted to make this more clear to folks if they weren't sure. Later!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:17 pm 

I found a solution to at least part of my problems. I had an older version (v.31) of that improved Open_GL renderer in my UT back ups folder. I put that in overtop of the latest version, and behold: I can now adjust my gamma again.

So that's that solved.*

I also found two files called KV.u and KV.int in my backup folder. These were missing from my latest install, and as the problem of the bsod is always related to a file called ATIKVMAG.dll; I thought "what the hell" and put these two files into my system folder.

So far so good, if the problem of bsod goes away, that's great. If not, so what. When you're as computer illiterate as I am, you try anything you can think of.

Also, my game quit cleanly last night, instead of dragging on and on with the music playing in the background. That's a pleasant surprise. :cyclopsani:

*Edit: Well, once again downloading a new map into cache has somehow messed up my ability to adjust the gamma. I've noticed it happen before. Someone please explain how this can be. :/