It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Vid Card suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:14 pm 

Hi all,
My VidCard at work is taking a dump :shaking2: . Looking for suggestions on an equal to or better :thumbleft: without appearing to be the pampas ass that I am at work. No doubt there are those that suffer from computer envy here as my department sports the best gear in the house :king:

I'm currently using (limping) on a MSI GeForce 6200 256mb. Not the top of the line by todays standards but for what I do at work its a rocket ship.

Any and all suggestions greatfully accepted with the same good will that they are submitted.

Best to all love, Skank :albino:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:37 am 

Okay Skank, my first question is what kind of bus are you running? AGP or PCi Express? With the 6200 GeForce, I would ASSUME AGP.
Is the company paying for it? How much are they willing to spend?

The fastest AGP card on the market is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814143046

Not a bad buy for $200 either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:05 am 

I remember buying my first video card last year. The choices seemed endless.
However, I settled on the Radeon 9800 Pro and it's been working out great.
Until last week when the cooling fan went out.....grr
But the good news is the video card is still under warranty !!!
Although the return rate is 2 weeks so now I'm stuck with crappy graphics. :cheese:

As a great man once told me (Hermskii) "get one with a warranty".

Post subject: Yes,
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Good questions Jarg. What bus? AGP or PCIE. How much you want to spend again? I got my ATI X800 GTO w/256mb DDR3 for about $130. It rocks and would kick that crappy old 6200 you have right where it hurts easily. My best suggestion no matter what is to make sure it is capable of using the new version of shader which is 3.0

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:59 pm 

I wish I could get that BFG card up here for only 200 bucks. The damn thing is nearly $400, and seldom goes on sale for much below that.

A good card that goes on sale all the time for a nice price is the ATI 1650. It has 512 MB of video memory, and is available in either PCIe or AGP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 am 

a nameless entity wrote:
I wish I could get that BFG card up here for only 200 bucks. The damn thing is nearly $400, and seldom goes on sale for much below that.

A good card that goes on sale all the time for a nice price is the ATI 1650. It has 512 MB of video memory, and is available in either PCIe or AGP.

I take it you live in the country called canada ??.. Cant you get an American friend to 'buy' it for you and send it as a 'present' you know because of that $200 gift you sent them.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 pm 

DARKMATTER wrote:
a nameless entity wrote:

I take it you live in the country called canada ??.. Cant you get an American friend to 'buy' it for you and send it as a 'present' you know because of that $200 gift you sent them.....

Yes............... He does

Post subject: BTW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot to mention to not get an ATI card. Though I have one, I think they are way to hard to maintain with drivers and all. Nvidia is the only way I'll go for now on until ATI figures out a better way to handle their drivers.

Example:

To get Nvidia drivers it always only takes one download.

To get ATI, you must have 2-3 other files installed before you can use their drivers of which they'll offer several and make you guess which one you need.

ATI sux. Don't buy an ATI. Go NVidia all the way baby.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:58 pm 

When I can catch my breath I'll check. Pretty sure it's APG. It is the companies dime but to one extreme or another I be the company so I'm always conservitave in how the dollars are dealt. :cat:

Post subject: Re: BTW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:58 pm 

Hermskii wrote:
I forgot to mention to not get an ATI card. Though I have one, I think they are way to hard to maintain with drivers and all. Nvidia is the only way I'll go for now on until ATI figures out a better way to handle their drivers.

Example:

To get Nvidia drivers it always only takes one download.

To get ATI, you must have 2-3 other files installed before you can use their drivers of which they'll offer several and make you guess which one you need.

ATI sux. Don't buy an ATI. Go NVidia all the way baby.

Ati only uses 1 display driver but they update the catalyst software every so often in my other pc i have a X1900 master card edition i like ati but in my main gaming rid i have 2 X nvidea 8800 gtx 768mb cards and i must admit they rock my new pc specs are.>>>

Belinea 102035W 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus P5N-SLI nForce 570 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition @ 2.93GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat spreadder

DUAL NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

2 x 150gig Raptor hdd drives 10,000rpm

its taken me along time to get this rig together but in counterstrike source the game i play most of the time it gets me 290+fps but im just waiting for Quake wars (enemy territory) man that game will rock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:29 pm 

Well the laugh's on me. About a week after I moaned about how expensive that BFG card is up here, it went on sale for $249 Cdn. And now this week the "regular" price seems to have fallen, because it's on sale again for $249, which is now a discount of 50 bucks off. :compress:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:43 am 

I agree with Herm. Nvidia is your best bet. If you plan on keeping the system for a while then I still recommend the card I listed above. Why?

LIFETIME WARRANTY!

I tested BFG on this too. They shipped me a new card within a few weeks even though I think that I popped the card with static.
Did not cost me a dime.

Post subject: BFG Rules
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

I have a buddy who has this card.

http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GTOC.html

It is actually better than my semi modern ATI card because it has pixel shader3 and a few other cool things that mine doesn't it test better too.

Be careful though. I think Vista requires DirectX 10 or something like that in order to run a video card full force. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Hermskii,