It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bad power supply!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

I have so many old PCs and old parts around here that I have stripped and replaced and such that I'm usually able to build a PC out-right at almost any time. I have several power supplies that I pulled from people's dead PC's that they brought to me to fix and when we could not get them fixed they usually gave me the PC for trying.

I never really had a real way to check these power supplies until yesterday. I went and bought a power supply tester for about $12 and was able to test about 10 power supplies. Of the 10 only about 3 passed but they were all pretty weak being 200w and 250w supplies. This motivated me to test the one in the server and the one in my main box. The server failed miserably so I changed it out with a old but good one and now the server turns on and off just as it is supposed to. My main PC power supply totally passed which this is an edit from this same post on my forum in which at the time I thought my main PC power supply failed.

I hope this reduces the outages being that I tend to lose power here almost every single time it rains. At least now the server will actully boot up and launch again now by itself like it is set to do and used to do. For the last 6 or so months it would half boot but never fully start up and the server would stay down. We'll see.

Now if I can actully stop my kid from turning it off each time he walks past it I'll be in great shape! The overheat issue will remain until I move into a better house as my AC doesn't stand a chance to keep this house cool during the day. I will be cleaning the server up and hope that the removed dust will make a difference. Later!

Hermskii,