It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Virus?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:05 am 

I scanned my computer today with Avast! and it claims to have found a trojan called: Win32:Banload-MF [Trj] that was hidden in my Epson printer's files.

I think it is a false positive. What would be the best place to check this out?
In the meantime I am going to be rescanning my computer in a few minutes with AVG Free to see if it finds the "virus" in Avast's "Virus Chest".

*edit* Well maybe I spoke too soon? Another instance of this trojan was found in my system restore files, so perhaps something has snuck in somehow? I recently deleted all my old restore points, so I'll have to make a new one once I'm satisfied that my PC is not infected (anymore?). :blackeye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:17 pm 

This SITE is about the best place to check it that i know off hope all goes well and its not one of the new nasties...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:23 pm 

Well it is a brand new nasty, as it turns out. Some of the places I went didn't even know what kind of trojan it is. It seems to have been introduced to the www around June 10th.

AVG Free didn't find anything, so I'm still thinking I may have a false positive here. But I'm going to do a complete uninstall of my epson's drivers and related folders, and dump any system restore points that have been created this month, just to be sure.

Post subject: Good luck
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck. Let us know.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:39 pm 

Well my computer hasn't blown up yet, but something has gone wrong with the anti malware program Ewido. It no longer finishes a "complete scan". It just quits at around 70% of the scan back to the desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:35 am 

So the question is, what have you downloaded recently that could have had this trojan downloader? Or perhaps someone gave you a CD or something. Considering that I know you are a safe browser and that this is a new trojan, I find it hard to believe that it ended up on your system from you hitting Ebay for motorcycle parts.
Have you tried an online virus scan just to see what it says?
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

OH. One more thing, do you have any anti-phishing stuff installed? Maybe you hit a fake site and got it there?
Grasping at straws here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:43 am 

I'm clueless as to how it got into my system, if indeed it does/did exist. I've only downloaded a couple of things all week.

One was the 1.2 patch for that stupid tomb raider game "Legend", and an update for Firefox.

I've exchanged a few emails with a company I bought something from over the internet.

I got something in an email that was passed on to me, but it was only a collection of amusing animal photos.

That's about it. I can only think that it got past my resident protection because it was so new. The latest scans show all clear, but on the other hand why has Ewido stopped working properly? I've reinstalled it twice, so any files that it may have needed that were removed by Avast! should have been replaced.

I guess the next step is to do some online scanning, both with Ewido, and Kaspersky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:02 am 

Dammit, I have reinstalled Ewido a third time, this time to my other hard drive. It still won't clean the 7 tracking cookies it finds in Firefox, and it still quits scanning suddenly and drops back to the desktop at the 66% completed point. :cwm10:

Should I have cleaned the registry before reinstalling? Both Avast and AVG are happy now, so wtf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:03 am 

http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/219333/an/0/page/0#219333

Try here for some stuff or go the the forum and post a hijack this log they will sort it for you they have got me out of some trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:12 pm 

Just FYI
I just did a fresh install of Windows on the game computer. This was a little over 48 hours ago. When doing a spyware sweep of the computer, I found 1400 instances of spyware, mostly cookies.
<--smacks head
I forgot to download and install Spyware Blaster.
This lets me know just how valuable that program is.