It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Something wrong with computer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:09 am 

I step from my computer for while. I come back Screen was black
said something which over my head. I try system restore didn't work.. Can anyone help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:08 am 

Dang it It my sound card .

try to restall driver keep saying I need put harware.Does mean I need new card?
This not my day. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:44 am 

HELP
Now it won't stay now.
I guess I have use my old computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:21 am 

It is possible that your sound card is fried, but then again, the system is reporting that it is working properly.
Try reseating the card in it's PCI slot first.
1. Unplug the computer.
2. After it is unpluged, hit the power button on the computer. this will discharge any leftover power in the power supply.
3. Take off the side of your case.
4. *Touch your power supply with both hands. This is to discharge any static electricity you may have built up.
5. Locate your sound card. Remove the screw and gently pull the card out of it's PCI slot.
6. Inspect the little metal contacts for damage or dust. Also inspect the interior of the case for dust. If dusty, then try to get as much out as you can. A can of canned air is useful for this.
7. Reseat the sound card in the PCI slot. Replace the screw.
8. plug it back in and turn on the computer.
9. If it boots, then good. Replace the speaker cables and test. If not, then go back to step 1 and instead of using the same PCI slot, use a different one.
10. If this does not work, remove the card, and purchace a new one.
11. Put the side of the case back on.

I hope that it is not the card, Sci.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 am 

The Jargonaut wrote:
6. Inspect the little metal contacts for damage or dust. Also inspect the interior of the case for dust. If dusty, then try to get as much out as you can. A can of canned air is useful for this.

I hope that it is not the card, Sci.
Good luck.

You can also use a standard Pencil eraser to lightly rub over the contacts this removes some of the more stubborn grease and oxidation on them.

D.M.

Post subject: Storm
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Did you have a big storm lately? Lightning and such? When sound cards go out I find it is usually from lightning. It also takes out dial up modems with the audio card in the cases I've seen.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:56 pm 

I have PC Doctor that come with it and said restall drive I di that said No hardware find or update drive that this worste start.
I can't start in safe mode to remove diver for sound card.

I can do that but now computer come on and stay on three minutes then try reboot.Mouse won't move and I can't find two CD.I don't mind if can't find window but other have driver for TRI 4200. Sound blast is close three years old. No strom this week or last week either.What happen if I can't keep computer up long after I install Sound blaster which best buy has $30?

I try find That one CD.
I try every you listd Jarg and Drark.
If I can .If can't I try this.
I could pull hard switch to new one and old one as slave and reform it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:20 pm 

I'm no Guru but I have an idea that the Gurus may determine if its worth a shot.

Lets say that maybe just maybe it is not the sound card.

Who says you have to have a sound card for a computer to run?

I know of many office work stations that do not enjoy such a luxury.

I suggest a test. Remove the sound card (using all the typical static electricity precautions).

Then see if your computer will boot properly. If it does you know its the card and you can go download what ever software and or drivers you need for that card before re-installing it.

My latest tool for just such an emergency is a CD called "Windows XP Live Edition 2"
"Run Windows XP Directly From Your CD Rom...no installation Needed. Just Burn this ISO on cd rom...insert CD in your cd drive.....Restart pc with using cd rom as 1st boot device...and you have done...windows xp will directly run from CD !!!so many softwares also built in with this.
Special version Windows XP Mcft: Live Edition 2(WinPE) capable to be loaded from this compact disc in operative memory of your personal computer.WinPE has the same kernel as well as at Windows XP, but only with that difference, that there there is a sufficient minimum to enter on any section of the machine or to be connected to a network.
The disk allows to restore operational systems when those refuse to be loaded. Support of all operational systems from Mcft Win9X/NT/2000/XP and, accordingly, file systems FAT/FAT32/NTFS/CDFS"
As of 02-05-2006 these links are still good. Note the don't last long.
DOWNLOADS
http://rapidshare.de/files/11673140/XpL ... 1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11675096/XpL ... 2.rar.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11676901/XpL ... 3.rar.html
PASSWORD:
www.brutaldown.com

Good luck Lady Sci

Skank :pirate:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:39 pm 

Thank Skank but right new computer will not stay up long to do that and mouse won't wrong . I mess up big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:47 pm 

Scify wrote:
Thank Skank but right new computer will not stay up long to do that and mouse won't wrong . I mess up big time.

But your computer might stay up if the sound card was removed.

Also you should be able to toggle through many items using your "TAB" button and cursor arrows.

What computer are you posting with now?

Again good luck, Skank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:25 pm 

My old 550mzh computer which give prolbem of it but doing better other one right.
I check Sound card ot It was dust on top but bottum was cleanit like this but this not my card i am use as smaple
If have buy one think about this one
Ideal upgrade from basic motherboard audio to enhanced music, movies and gaming that comes alive. Convert old records and tapes into digital audio to sound better than they ever have before.

>> Compare Creative Labs sound cards and find the right solution for you! (152KB .pdf)

24-bit multichannel performance/96kHz stereo

100dB SNR for ultraquiet, high-definition audio

7.1-channel surround sound support delivers a captivating theater-like experience with DVD movies

More Options

Compare with products in this price range.

Product Features

EAX music enhancements improve CD and MP3 music with features such as bass boost, multiband graphic equalizer, audio clean-up and more

24-bit Advanced HD audio projects 256 times the resolution of your basic built-in sound for a thundering display

EAX Advanced HD game effects provide 3D audio with realistic sound, sophisticated reverb effects and mulitchannel surround for more than 400 existing 3D games

CMSS 3D audio technology transforms stereo recordings, including MP3/WMA and CD music, into immersive 7.1 surround sound

64-voice polyphony and multitimbral capability; 2MB or 4MB GM SoundFont bank included

SPDIF output delivers up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96kHz

Onboard connectors include front, side, rear, center and subwoofer line level-out, headphone-out/in, line-in and aux audio-in

Windows Media 9 Pro audio content in 24-bit/96kHz quality and multichannel surround

Product Details

Sound Type Supported Sound Blaster

Internal or External Internal

Interface Slot Type PCI

External Ports/Connectors Auxiliary-in|Line-in|Line-out (front/rear/center/sub)|Line-out/headphones-out

Speaker Support 5.1|6.1|7.1

Number of Simultaneous Voices 64

Included Software Creative Media Source Go!, Go! Launcher, Player/Organizer; Creative Device Control, Surround Mixer, EAX Console, WaveStudio, Speaker Settings, MiniDisc Center, Graphic Equalizer and Diagnostic

System Requirements Intel® Pentium® III processor 450MHz or AMD® K7 processor 500MHz; 64MB RAM for Windows ME (128MB for 2000 SP2 and XP); WDM driver for ME, 2000 (SP3 and SP4) and XP (SP1 and SP2)

Additional System Requirements For games, viewing DVD titles or Internet radio: Genuine Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® processor; 500MHz; 2nd generation DVD-ROM drive with InterVideo WinDVD 2000, CyberLink PowerDVD 3.0 or later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:32 pm 

It $30.
back to sound card those thing that go into PCI slot those gold look thing egde was white but to card was black? Is this it Good or Bad.Yes inside was dusted and didn't fine either more stubborn grease and oxidation on them.

what happen I can't get my start and It stay on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:08 pm 

It still doing it :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
I try pull out card maybe stop doing it. I can going remove drives.
Other thing is switch hard drives to new hard that already have on it then reformat old useit same slave drive buy new sound baster for $30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:27 pm 

thank Skank remove sound work but mouse still doesn't work.
Now Unplug internet to get something other later all
I use Tab and window key get to work that.If can remove drives I think I got made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 pm 

This is starting to sound like a job for professionals. Too many different things are breaking all at the same time. It might only be an O/S problem, but it's starting to sound more like a hardware problem to me. Any warranty left on your PC?