It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Funny moment
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:13 pm 

I ran across one of those "believed to be" better players today. You know the type....he runs around spraying and praying hoping to hit someone....lol Usually ends up with more deaths than frags...in a map full of people in which you guys all fear him. No reason to name names. Anyway, I ran across this "believed to be" better player in a map all by himself. Talk about a sitting Duck. And as I watched him, from atop a hill, I could see him spraying and praying or as I like to call it now "Shootin and Poopin". Not sure what he was shooting at, because I was the only one there, but it was funny to watch. So after I moved in and killed him four times and telefraged his azz twice he complained that he was bored and left.
But I'm seeing more and more people using this technique in the wrong circumstances. And it's even funnier when you have everyone in a map playing this way. And it's even funny when you're in a big map and spray and pray doesn't work and your "believed to be" better players complains that the map is boring. Actually I just think you hate losing to someone who doesn't spray as much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

I've mentioned to several spreaders that it won't work on all maps with very few players.

Guiding sometimes doesn't even work. I was on Zeto yesterday with just one other player and a bot. I was guiding around and getting my ass handed to me. In that situation, better to run around and take your chances telefragging.

Still, Meat, in small maps with tons of players, run and gun is the best strategy. Like you said yourself, you got to know when to use what.

Mah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:48 am 

Mahatma wrote:
I've mentioned to several spreaders that it won't work on all maps with very few players.

Guiding sometimes doesn't even work. I was on Zeto yesterday with just one other player and a bot. I was guiding around and getting my ass handed to me. In that situation, better to run around and take your chances telefragging.

Still, Meat, in small maps with tons of players, run and gun is the best strategy. Like you said yourself, you got to know when to use what.

Mah

I agree !!!! After about a first practicing year, I started to play in 4 major ways plus one ! This is what I trust in.

The four ways are :
Big maps played guiding
Big maps played run and gunning
Small maps played guiding
Small maps played run and gunning
Some maps played run and gunning AND guiding

My method !!!!! LooOOooL
huh... maybe other regs know this method ?.... Damn I thought I was the only one :/

j/k ! LOL

Last edited by LePoLoo on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 am 

I always have to question (actually laugh) when I see someone spraying that has no clue how to spray. But again I'm no expert at it, in fact I'm just now learning how to do it after all this time. But I've seen some really bad sprayers out there. As soon as they spawn they spray with no idea who or what they are shooting at.
So, from what I have observed there are 2 types of "Sprayers".
Your Strategic type...Much like what Mahatma does...he finds a strategic location and fires in specific areas of the map.
And your Wet your Pants type...Fires without thinking...hoping to hit whatever is moving.
Lucky for me, most of the people I see spraying are also pissing there pants.
Advice for the masses:
Depend.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:36 pm 

Can it be?? MEAT actually is wanting to learn the correct technique for S&P?
Actually what Mahatma and many others do is not Spray and Pray. Spray and Pray seems to mean that you put up a volley in the hopes that you will get lucky and get a frag. Mah and myself use a different technique. It is what I have always called Spawn Point Stalking. To be honest, I mostly learned it from watching Mahatma, Death Inc. and Kind Bud. We hit the spawn points as much as possible while defending our position with a guided deemer. And there is a strategy to it.
It is used on small to mid sized maps more often than large maps. On large maps, I use a Run and Gun method. The reason? Hide and Guide can become boring. With these two tactics, I am always forced to play defense while trying to protect myself from the Hide and Guiders.
Will my deaths be high? Probably. I am putting myself out there in the open to maximize my frags. The talent is that you must work your way to a stalking position, root out anyone already there, and hold the position for as long as possible.
That is a lot more difficult than Hide and Guide, hence the stigma about H&G being used by beginners.
Actually, some of the best players are H&Gers.

Let's look at the PROS and CONS of both:

H&G
PROS: Relatively safe behind obstruction. Ability to hunt your opponent.
CONS: Only one deemer at a time. Must make every shot count.

Stalking:
PROS: Multiple redeemers for faster frag counts. Never dull.
CONS: Always in the line of fire. High death totals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm 

Deck 16 on that you spwan on that box. Somebody there behide it.I found around that :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 pm 

Just played 5 games in a row with 3 sprayers that didn't have a clue. Obviously they lost. 2 of the sprayers left when I questioned them about what all the spraying was about. And the third thought the games were boring if he didn't spray. Huh?

Then the map got crowded with sprayers, because of the maps being played and the games started lasted only 2-4 min....better known as "spawn kill city". Talk about boring.

And yes I agree....correct S&P and Spawn Point Killing which I use, are ways to win if the maps are full.
The only problem is the excitement factor or that rush you feel isn't there when I S&P or Spawn Kill. It just gets to repetitious....and I don't want to play just to play.
Don't get me wrong I want to win but I also want to have fun win or lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:36 pm 

So there ya go. What I find fun, you find boring, and vice versa. I guess it is all a matter of taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:51 am 

LOL !!!...
One thing gives me some regrets : A discussion between MEAT and Mons*Calpe about the way man have to play !!!
That would be awesome ! :cheers: :cheers: :clown: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:04 pm 

I have to laugh...lol
Was playing SpaceNoxx with some guy
named "ME". It was just the two of us and a bot.
And I am not particular good at
this map but this guy called me a cheater
and then he left...lol
All I did was watch him and then react to his move.
It was funny but at least he wasn't a sprayer.

Post subject: Cats
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

I feel like a cat each time you call us sprayers. Anyways, that is really great. It could be considered a compliment to be called a cheater here. Speaking of cheaters, has anyone seen a real one lately? I invite them in all of the time but they never show or never stay long anyways.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:01 pm 

I have to laugh.....the new breed of players (sprayers) are not that good.
And I love when they get mad and call me names...lol
They even tell me to go play my own server...lol (hmm...maybe they are not new....just that they never improved?)
Plus, they die more then they frag. Think about that newbies and you regulars.
I know I know...it doesn't matter as long as you win. Smart thinking...wow.
It's funny but at the same time disappointing to see such immature behavior.
No respect. But, that's the new breed of players (sprayers).
And the sad part is they don't want to learn how to play or win.
Can't tell you how many times I have offered help and no response.
Must be a guy thing? Anyway...I hope this improves or I am out of here.

Post subject: Is that a threat?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Is that a threat? What does that mean? You hope it improves or you're outta here? Outta where? Which server are you owning on? Can you win on a small map yet?

I would say you certainly play very well on the big maps being that I have both won and lost to you on them but have you learned Fractal yet? How about Veridian Tourney?

I regret to inform you but you can't just decide to quit until you have mostly mastered most of the map types and strategies that play best on them. Well you can actually quit whenever you want to but you would then leave with the title of "newbie who was great on really big maps."

LOL. So put that in your new video card and smoke it! Comments?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:17 am 

I just don't get it anymore Hermskii. I can deal with bad players, we were all new at one time.
But the whole reason I play UT is for that camaraderie thing
and it's just not happening with these new players as well as with some of the regulars.
Sure, maybe with time they will come around but the game is losing that fun factor with me.
Not sure if this makes sense but it just seems that the new players today play UT
just to kill time and could careless about it. And that kind of bothers me.
They really have no respect for the game or its players or even for those of us that put up these servers.
And you see it with these forums to...we have all these new players but none of them
take the time to come by and say hi anymore or just to say Hey MEAT sucks.
(I get enough of that in the games already).
Maybe it's just the new breed of players? Or maybe it's just me?

And I've been around long enough and have
been schooled enough times to now know how to play and win on the smaller maps.
And when the pot is right (player to map ratio) trust me I'll hang with the best.

Oh....and Herm I think you meant to say "Smoking New Video Card".

Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

No, I meant it the way I said it. I just wanted you to hear a little jealousy in there.

Now about the game and players: Now that your are nearing the end of yourstate of newbieism it is natural for you to start to see what we super veteran ancient regulars call a cycle. These cycles are like the sands of time in that they just keep coming and they are like the tide both high one moment and low the next. They are like the office of the president being different at least each two terms. They are like the fiery phoenix rising up from their own ashes. They are like ......well, you get the point.

You have made friends and you will see that they will come and go often. You mentioned that you may be the problem. Maybe so. Maybe these people don't want to be tied down to a internet relationship. Maybe they do just show up to blow off steam and blow people up. Maybe they are illegal aliens and can't speak english much less chat in game.

Maybe I'm ranting.....nahhhh! Being an admin here I see every single new person that signs up and they still do regularly. It's a free country especially if you are an illegal alien. They can register and not post.

I would change your focus a little here. Rather than destroying all who dare face you (on big maps. LOL) maybe you can choose a chatter and urge them to join and contribute. You have a server that you can do whatever you want to. I think I smell the [MEAT] clan a coming! I smell what the [MEAT] is a cookin! Start a [MEAT] Clan thread dedicated to the game respecting, good intending, good sportsmanship having, willing to participate being players. Grow your solution and take over! We'll leave the light on for ya.

Hermskii,