It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How to buy a Dell Computer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:40 pm 

After all the grief I recently had while I waited for Dell Canada to get off of their arses and honour their obligations; you might think that this thread was going to be some sort of smartass kick at Dell Canada's corporate backside. :cheese:

Well as much as they might deserve a hot poker stuck up their wazoo, this thread ain't one of those.

I recently learned that Dell sells refurbished and "open box" returned computers at discounted prices. The open box units can be sold at quite a discount. Check out this Dell Canada web page and scroll down to the bottom. There's a Dell 9150 for sale there for almost half off. And it's a sweet system, almost exactly as I would have ordered it myself. If I had the 2 grand they want for it; I'd have been severely tempted to grab it before someone else gets it first. THIS IS THE WAY TO BUY A DELL COMPUTER!
In fact I now recommend this as the ONLY way to buy a Dell. Brand new, and at a deep discount. :cheers:

I had a hell of a time finding the equivalent Dell USA webpage, but I think that this is the page that you want.

If you don't see what you want at a good enough discount, check back every week or so. There's usually one or two high end computers for sale at nearly half off. Eventually someone will return a unit configured just the way you'd like, for the price you'd like to pay. :laughing6:

For those of you unwilling or unable to build your own computer, and/or on a budget, this may be a good solution for your computing needs. I sure as hell wish I had known if something like this was available 3 years ago when I bought my Dell 8200. :toothy3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:29 pm 

I hope not for long time before buy new. this rig mine now has 1gb ramms,2 hard drive total of 280 gb and 2.4 whatevery it is.If can't build my own . which I try hope too or I go back to my trust PC City Computer store which across town . http://www.pccitycomputers.com/
they my first one.
if not there there one down street
http://www.pclandonline.com/cgi-bin/sho ... dernumber=
At least i know how to put in hard drive :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:51 pm 

Scify,
It is not out of reason for me to be able to drive to Roanoke and help you out if you decide to build your own. All I need is a little advanced notification.

Post subject: Great post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Great post Nameless. Do yourself a favor though. Build your own next time. Jarg, you are a great guy for offering that for Scify.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:25 pm 

The Jargonaut wrote:
Scify,
It is not out of reason for me to be able to drive to Roanoke and help you out if you decide to build your own. All I need is a little advanced .

Thank you :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
That be very cool Jarg.If do I gave month notification. But I hope this rig hold out next few years.Like ten year form now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

lol in 10 years, Jarg is going to show up at your door, Sci! And you're going to be, like, "Huh? What are computers? We all use Ipods now."

Nameless, good advice. There's another way to buy Dells. Visit www.fatwallet.com's hot deals, www.slickdeals.net, and www.techbargains.net. Crazy dell deals all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:12 am 

Mahatma wrote:
lol in 10 years, Jarg is going to show up at your door, Sci! And you're going to be, like, "Huh? What are computers? We all use Ipods now."

Nameless, good advice. There's another way to buy Dells. Visit www.fatwallet.com's hot deals, www.slickdeals.net, and www.techbargains.net. Crazy dell deals all the time.

That so ture but I doudt it it those thing they use TV show form Tek Or ( was Terk) Wars.
and As long they don't make games Specaily UT seires
over 2.4Ghz or esle I be get new other :drunken: :drunken:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:23 pm 

Mahatma wrote:

Thanks Mah. I'm not sure why, but your links to Fatwallet and Slickdeals don't seem to be working tonight. With the Canadian dollar back up to $0.84US, the kind of offers they have might seem attractive up here now. But Dell USA would probably refuse the order and refer me back to Dell Canada.
Dell Canada accepts "coupons" now, but I'm damned if I know where to find them.

Hermskii wrote:
Great post Nameless. Do yourself a favor though. Build your own next time.

I think I'll do just that, in a couple of years or so. Just for the experience if nothing else. Back in 2002, it was far more economical to buy the Dell. Next time I'll spend the extra cash regardless, because I want to try an AMD powered computer system. :cyclopsani:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:09 am 
Site Admin

sorry nameless -- the links are including my punctuation at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:20 pm 

Sup Yall,

Dell clearance is a good deal. I agree with the others that rolling your own is a good way to go, but sometimes the big guys can do it cheaper when you factor taxes and shipping for a bunch of parts.

Usually the best prices on all of the parts is from different vendors. This leads to lots of shipping charges.

Don't know if you are close enough to the border to have an address set up in the US (Mail Boxes ETC or some company like that offers a real address that FedEx and UPS will deliver to, and someone to sign for it). May be able to skate around the GST?

"I love the sound of GODLIKE in the morning."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:43 pm 

So, I have been looking on the list of pre-fab Dells. I am looking to replace my current, outdated doorstop. It too is a Dell. I have had pretty good luck with this one, so I am willing to go that route again. Might need some help picking out something good from the list, though. I don't want to go heavy on the cost, but here is what I am looking for in the new one:

Processor: something ridiculously fast
Memory: the more the merrier
Video Card: again, something ridiculous
Hard Drive: at least over 100 gig. (I plan on adding another later)
Sound Card: already have one I want to use
Monitor: already have one I want to use
Mouse: already have one I want to use
Disc Drives: 2...I plan on installing a DVD burner (at some point)
Tower: I would like to remove everything and install it in a custom tower at some point, so I'm not sure if the 'micro tower' computers would work here (or would it).

I don't want to go the "build-it-yourself" route again. That ended up costing me a fortune in parts and aspirin. See anything good on the list (or elsewhere)? Price range is from Free to $500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:28 am 

Mortis case I wold like to have this one.

Post subject: Warning
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Hey Mortis, everything you asked for was going fine until I saw that you wanted to gut the machine you were going to buy and but it all into a tower. That struck a nerve because because Dell has started down the same path the Compaq traveled in that they are beginning to get very proprietary.

With newer Dells you would be hard pressed to be able to even replace a floppy drive without having to buy that specific one from Dell. They are like that with most of there stuff thus ensuring that they get the revenue from all future upgrades and or repairs. All of that said, my point is that I doubt that you would be able to take a mobo out of a Dell and put in any other type of case. Even the BIOS and all on-board device drivers can be a huge headache trying to update.

Dell is no longer your best solution being that you have lots of stuff you want to keep using. I would say build your own but you said that didn't go well last time. Too bad. Building your own has the best prospects for scalability and general modding.

Who's software do you want to use? Yours or new stuff from Dell? If you have your own then I suggest you buy a used Dell from eBay with a no DOA clause. Good luck

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:24 pm 

The things I know for sure that are proprietary to Dells:

The case.

The motherboard. (According the servivce tech who did the repairs on my Dell, the mobo fits to a special pan shaped bracket, which in turn fits onto the case. All are propriatary to one another.)

The powersupply. (probably only fits Dell custom cases easily)
:blackeye:

The stuff you can swap out (at least on my Dell 8200):

The drives: floppy, cd, dvd, & hard drives.

Vid cards

Soundcards

Other stuff:

USB cards on some of the older Dells. All new Dells have the extra USB outlets built in.

Ethernet cards on some older Dells. All new Dells have built in propriatery ethernet.

Firewire adapter cards (The very latest Dells probably have or will have this built in too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:44 pm 

Also, if the Dell breaks, expect to pay DOUBLE for the replacement part from Dell...
I have let my feelings be known on this issue. If you want a serious rig, build it yourself.
If you want INSANE performance, it will cost you the price of a Hyundai to get it. $500 will not even get you a video card. Sorry.
I have even seen gaming rigs costing around $12000, but you get a nice widescreen monitor to go with it.
May I suggest a site for you to look at:
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/Default.asp

No proprietary stuff inside, which means you can upgrade with whatever you like!
If you want to put it all in a new case anyways, then you may as well build it yourself.
WARNING! If you go the ridiculous route, be warned of heating issues with smaller towers. The best gaming rigs come in BIG full tower cases.

Just for ghits and shiggles, I will try and configure you the best PC for $500 or less at Cyberpower.

EDIT*
If you have $600, then I advise EVERYONE try to get this. It is a mistake on Cyberpowers site. They have a $1000 processor for almost NOTHING!
I doubt you can get away with it, but who knows. It is worth a shot!
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/cfgpd.asp?v=d#configurator_top
Click on the Extreme Edition 840 CPU. THis should EASILY make this system DOUBLE the price quoted!

If you don't believe me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214