It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Wooot!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

I bought a picnic table to put in the garage so I'd have more room to build computers and stuff. My car stays in the driveway for right now.

My first mission was to build a legacy box. What's that? It is a WIndows based computer that can run all of the hardware and software that Windows XP would not run. I have lots of this.

The box is a IBM 300PL with a Pentium III 733. It has 512mb SDRAM. The OS I put on it is Windows 98SE.

Phase one is complete. What was phase one? To get 98 installed and install a very sweet Voodoo 3 3500 AG w/TV video card in it. Why? Sso I could play UT using the Glide renderer again the way it is supposed to be played. Success! I can play UT with this Voodoo card that only has 16mb of video ram. Get this: I have seen framerates as high as 83fps though it tends to stay around 60-70!!!

Phase 2 will be to install my One Touch Visioneer Scanner to it and scan something.

Phase 3 will be to install my Syquest Sparq 1GB internal removable hard drive and change out drives using any of the 30+ 1GB drives I have.

Phase 4 will be to install and play Red Baron 3D. XP would not play it since it was too old. This is special because with Glide used as the renderer, the game was built to enable the pilot to see through the wings above and below to better spot the enemy.

Phase 4 Part B will be to use my Saitek joystick that XP would not use to fly my aircraft in the Red Baron game or any other game.

Phase 5 will be to install and Warlords II and III since XP can't seem to play it well at all being no sound or no music. I can't remember since it's been so long.

Phase 6 will be to see what else I can find and run that XP wouldn't run!

So that's what I'm doing this weekend while building and giving my nephew a newer computer. He has a Gateway Pentium 700. I'm stepping him up to a NForce board NV7m with an XP1900 in it. He's so excited. He's 12 and one of the smartest kids I've ever met. He installed his own system on the gateway including surround sound and GForce 2 Pro video card. Ican't wait to see that smile when it boots up the first time for him. It's in the garage next to the legacy box now. It is tested and ready to go! Have a great weekend all. Later.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:36 pm 

That is great Herm. Glad that the card is doing you well. I can not believe the framerates that you are getting in UT with it.
Also I am glad to hear that your nephew will be getting his new rig.
It's a shame that XP does not play the older games well. I have a BUNCH just sitting around collecting dust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:33 am 

The Jargonaut wrote:
That is great Herm. Glad that the card is doing you well. I can not believe the framerates that you are getting in UT with it.
Also I am glad to hear that your nephew will be getting his new rig.
It's a shame that XP does not play the older games well. I have a BUNCH just sitting around collecting dust.

That right I got UT on XP and Ti 4200 Game crash . Never had trouble My Voodoo 3 3300 card and . I really need save up my fix first computer. I know other hard drive ( i think about 40 gb)which thanks to Jarg I know how put one in. No more room for ram it got 64, 64 and 128 that 256 ram?I keeping 98SE on it.

Post subject: Noticable
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yahoo over wireless doesn't work well at all. During install it detected PC and suggested a lite version of Yahoo. I said no. MSN Messenger which I hate works rather well on this machine but it took some time to get it going.

Hermskii,