It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:29 pm 

The hospital where I work will be receiving somewhere between 100 to 150 of the people coming out of New Orleans. The Army is flying them in, one load after the other. I have been placed on indefinite standby, and have to carry my pager 24-7. I will be pulling alot of extra hours. Looks like I'm gonna be in it for the long run.

Post subject: 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, my hospital is getting a few hundred too. We sent our Life Flight Helos out there to help and they were shot at so we called them back home. Sad.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 pm 

Roanokers pitch in for hurricane relief

Everyone from elementary school students to rock fans are donating what they can.

Everyone from elementary school students to rock fans are donating what they can.
Clear Channel Communications employees Joel Dearing and Steve Cross figured they would fill a U-Haul with donated drinking water this week and drive it to the Gulf Coast states themselves.

But by Wednesday afternoon, local companies had loaned them four tractor-trailers complete with drivers, and it appeared as if the generosity of Roanoke Valley residents would fill every rig.

"Some of the people cAdvertisement

oming up, you can just tell they don't have anything to give, and they're handing us two or three dollars," said Cross, who added that they also collected more than $5,000 in cash.

As Hurricane Katrina's effects on the Gulf Coast become more apparent and more heartbreaking, many Southwest Virginians are looking for ways to help.

Cash donations remain the most sought-after, and some local schools are joining in that effort. Bedford County school spokesman Ryan Edwards said they will send letters home with kids to let parents know that monetary donations - both cash and checks - will be accepted at each school until Sept. 8, then forwarded to the Red Cross.

At Roanoke Catholic School, the lower school's Student Government Association plans to place a bucket in each classroom to collect "Quarters for Katrina." Spokeswoman Carol Jessee also said the upper school's SGA will be collecting donations in homeroom classes today and Friday. Proceeds will go to Catholic Relief Services.

North Cross School's cafeteria will sell cookies Tuesday and send the proceeds to the Red Cross, said Kathy Cox, assistant to the headmaster. The lower school at North Cross collected bottled water Wednesday.

Residents can donate money directly to the Red Cross, but it might be more fun to tune in to Q99, K92 or Star Country 94.9 this morning. Each of those Mel Wheeler, Inc.-owned radio stations is raising money for the Red Cross.

Danny Meyers of the K92 morning show said his crew will do a marathon broadcast called "Flush the Format for Hurricane Relief," allowing callers to make a donation to hear a particular song. Star Country will auction off footballs with a chance to win a hot tub, and a Q99 disc jockey with a phobia of clowns and people touching his feet will agree to have his toenails painted by a clown if enough money is raised.

"We're hoping between the three of us to hit the $50,000 range," Meyers said.

Rock fans arrived at a 3 Doors Down concert Wednesday night with more than three pick-up truck-loads of canned vegetables, bottled water and potted meat.

"I'd hate it if it was me," Wayne Boyd of Christiansburg said after dropping off a can of beans. "I just got back from Iraq. I got to help."

At one point early in the show, lead singer Brad Arnold stood alone on the stage and said, "Thank you all for that food out there. I was out walking around earlier and I can't tell you how bad they need it down there."

The band from Escatawpa, Miss. - some 20 miles east of Biloxi - was playing its first show since Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. Its members had encouraged fans to bring canned goods along.

"Pretty soon we're going home to a lot of bad things," Arnold said. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate all that out there. God bless you."

Anyone who wants to donate food or water in the days to come can bring it to the Southwest Virginia Second Harvest Food Bank on Electric Road in Salem. They'll also accept donations at their Abingdon location on Russell Road.

Some companies did their part to offer assistance on Wednesday, including Lawrence Transportation of Roanoke and James E. Owen Trucking of Forest, who loaned the four tractor-trailers to Clear Channel.

Even prisoners chipped in on Wednesday, when the Roanoke City Sheriff's Office sent two inmate work crews to the Roanoke Civic Center to help stack cases of water. Also helping in between emergency calls were firefighters with Roanoke Fire-EMS.

For Linda Lackey of Roanoke, even losing her job was not enough to prevent her from donating a case and a half of water.

"We went through the flood of '85, but it's nothing compared to what they're going through," she said. "You just want to do so much more

State Va has send fire fighter,Appalachian Power and American Red Cross.
"As a first responder agency, the Virginia Department of Forestry is often called upon to provide disaster assistance services," said John Miller, director of resource protection for the Virginia Department of Forestry. "Our people are well-trained in various types of emergency service roles. They will help in any way they can."They send help all three states .
http://www.roanoke.com/news/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:05 am 

Hey yall,

Glad to hear you ar still around Kid. Hope all is well with you and yours and everyone else. Can't wait till things are back to "normal".

"I love the sound of GODLIKE in the morning."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:25 pm 

Ameerican Getting help other Countries :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/k ... index.html
World leaders offer sympathy, aid