It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Sad News from the Homefront
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:18 pm 

Well, it looks like it is my time to suffer a loss. This weekend, my father died of complications from pneumonia as a result of his battle against cancer (my mother having lost her battle with cancer over 30 years ago). A little over a year ago, he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a form of cancer that attacks the bone marrow.

Last year, about this time, he was hospitalized with pneumonia (following a surgical procedure) and they told us that he would not live much longer. The doctors moved him to another floor in preparations to die. I came to the conclusion that they were looking at the cancer and not his immediate problem. I consulted with the family, and we pushed for an aggressive treatment of antibiotics to fight the pneumonia. Sure enough, one month later, he walked out of the hospital to the surprise of the entire staff.

Although I knew this would not solve the bigger problem. My dad was unable to withstand the treatments. Over the next year, his health waxed and waned, and he was in and out of the hospital. Eventually, he fell victim to pneumonia again (due to all of the painkillers and lack of exercise). He went into Hospice on Wednesday, and passed away at 4am on Sunday. He was 78. He was buried on Tuesday (the hottest day of the year), receiving full Masonic and Naval honors at the ceremony.

It has been a hard week. I have tried to remain the strong one in the family, consoling my siblings and my stepmother, and helping organize the arrangements. I feel that I have had a chance to come to terms with things over the past year, as opposed to the sudden events of his first hospital stay. Now that I have returned home, and I am alone (apart from the wife), it is now my time to grieve and release everything that I bottled up over the last few days.

I had just gotten back into the swing of playing again. Give me a little time, and I will be back again.

(Sorry for the long, depressing post. But talking about it helps.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:32 pm 

Very very sad ... My deepest condolences to you for your loss Mortis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:44 pm 

Mortis,

I am really sad to hear about you dad. I am dreading the day it happens to me...
Let me know if I can do anything to help.

N6NU AKA Andreas Junge
San Mateo Masonic Lodge #226
San Mateo, CA

PS: You dad might have liked the prayer below, or he even had it memorized:

Thou, O God! knowest our down-sitting and our uprising, and understandest our thoughts afar off. Shield and defend us from the evil intentions of our enemies, and support us under the trials and afflictions we are destined to endure, while travelling through this vale of tears. Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. He cometh forth as a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee; thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass; turn from him that he may rest, till he shall accomplish his day. For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. But man dieth and wasteth away; yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up, so man lieth down, and riseth not up till the heavens shall be no more. Yet, O Lord! have compassion on the children of thy creation, administer them comfort in time of trouble, and save them with an everlasting salvation. Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:14 pm 

My condolences to you and your family, Mortis. Your situation is eerily similar in a number of ways to what mine was two years ago with my mother. Take care.

Last edited by a nameless entity on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:15 pm 

I am sorry your lost.I know how to feel losing both parents...................

I don't know any words help you feel better.Be strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:07 pm 

You have my deepest sympathies Mort. I still have both my folks hanging about but have had multiple scares with the old man (Heart attack, Brain Tumor). I'm sure you have a good support group of friends and family to help you through this trying time but if ya see me on line and just need to shoot the shit so to speak don't hesitate to give a shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:46 pm 

Very sorry to hear about your dad.

Hotts :pale:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:27 pm 

Sincerest condolences brother. This 28th is the one year anniversary of loosing my pop. Its all still to new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:41 am 

It's very sad to read about what you're going through and I know it's good to talk when someone is passing by bad moments of life.

I know it's very difficult to help in those moments but if i (we) can do something. Let me (us) know...

Sincere condolences

Polo

Post subject: Sorry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Hey Mortis,

This is awful for you. Know that you have all of us to talk with anytime you want. I think we are all honored a bit that you shared this with us. Your Pop already has a prayer for him from me and you and your family have one from me as well. Take care.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:17 am 

My deepest sympathies Mortis to you and your family

Dark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:10 am 

Time will heal all............my condolences to you and your family.

Lotus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:36 pm 

You have my sympathy, Mortis. If you need to let it out, you know that you can do so here. We will be listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:33 pm 

I lost my mother in '78 to lung cancer. She was 51. My dad outlived her by 30 years and died of pancreatic cancer. He was 85.
Then last year, one of my brothers died from a heart attack. He was 49.
As someone who's been through it, I know how you feel. You and your family have my heartfelt sympathies.

JB

N6NU....That was a beautiful prayer.

Nevermore to grace the night....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:50 pm 

Hey Mortis,

Really sorry to hear about your Dad. Lost minewhen I was 8. My dad was only 32.

"I love the sound of GODLIKE in the morning."