It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: VooDoo 3500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Voodoo 3500...Can it be installed on a system that is already running Win2000? The install disk says it needs to know where 9X was installed to yet the driver cd has a Win2000 folder on it. ???

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:44 pm 

I did a little searching. Don't know if it will help or not.

Someone else was having fits with this same topic VooDoo3500 on a Win2000/XP system. There were told the driver need was at the link below:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo3/downloads/amigasport3.0.htm

Good luck Hermskii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:11 am 

Hey Herm,

Why would you wnt to do such a thing?

Just wondering.

"I love the sound of GODLIKE in the morning."

Post subject: Re: VooDoo 3500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:43 am 

Hermskii wrote:
Voodoo 3500...Can it be installed on a system that is already running Win2000? The install disk says it needs to know where 9X was installed to yet the driver cd has a Win2000 folder on it. ???

Herm

Load the card manually. Win 2000 and ME both have problems when auto installing VooDoo cards. Just put the card in and select manual instal of the driver. I've also heard of problems with OpenGL under 2000/ME with the VooDoo line. Several gameing sites have a update for the VooDoo cards OpenGL driver that is specificly written to address problems under the two OS's
The only other fix I've heard about is to upgrade to XP.

Post subject: Nastalgia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Nastalgia made me do it. First, I have this wonderful Voodoo card sitting here doing nothing. I have a few games built for glide renderer sitting here doing nothing too along with a joystick and a scanner all of which Windows XP does not support. I built a buddy a AMD 400 box many years back. He brought it back to be overhauled do to over heating. I did it and it was so fast and running on 98. I got the idea to see how fast 98 would be on a modern system so I built it up. I failed miserably. The Voodoo card worked but I couldn't get the tv part to work at all. Every aspect of everything was a pain in the butt. 98 doesn't plug and play anything modern. I'll keep this short. It was just a mistake to even try. I got it all working pretty much minus the tv card but it took all day and it didn't run that fast at all even on my XP2100.

Nice find Fluffy and thanks. I can say that Voodoo is not officially supported by Win2000 and up. I have used wrapper drivers before like the one you found with success but I wanted this to be an official system with all whql approved drivers and such.

Pebcak, Nastagia made me try it.

Mickey, I can't begin to tell you how many probs there are to overcome trying this. I think the tv card part of the voodoo may have been dead though it worked pretty good just over a year ago. The fix to upgrade to XP is FALSE. XP is actually the problem here. I have a voodoo 5 running fine on my moms box using an xp driver wrapper but this is a voodoo 3500tv card. different card, different drivers. Too much trouble. I will try agin later in a week or two when I get the time.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:40 pm 

Hey Herm,

Depending on what you want to do. You may consider Linux. You could use a live CD to see if it will support your hardware. I would recommend http://www.mepis.com/ Mepis or http://www.knoppix.com Knoppix for starters. Great hardware detection/configuration. Generally plays nice with older hardware.

I am a Mepis fan myself. Debian based and easy to update/maintain. Run it on an old P3 600. Never a problem.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

I will look into it. Thanks!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:54 pm 

I hope it was not the card that I sent you.

Post subject: Yep
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm afraid so Jarg. Like I said, I think I must have done something wrong. I will be giving it another effort soon. The glide part worked fine. It was the tv part that fought back so hard. When you used it, What OS did you run it on? Last time I had it running tv and all, the only issue it had was that it would mute the volume each time I changed channels. Everything else worked perfectly. I'll keep you up to date with what does and doesn't work next time around.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 pm 

Hey Herm

Take a look at The Live CD List http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:09 pm 

Win 98 was the OS. I hope nothing happened to it in transit. It worked fine last time I used it. I just did not want to send you a bum card. Good luck.

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Hey Jarg, You DID NOT send me a bum card. Like I said. It worked fine last time other than the mute happening each time I changed channels. I'm sure I didn't did something right when I tried it out last. I'll let you know how it goes next attempt which will be soon I assure you.

Hermskii,