It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hello again SRA peeps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:31 am 

Greetings,
Long time no post... been busy with school and (mostly) work; just wanted to share with you some of the changes that have occurred around here. I am now (hopefully) 1 semester away for having my associate’s degree, so I will be in and out for about the next 6 months or so. I will still keep up MMSLVCTF during this time and until further notice, for those of you that still crave some Strangelove/RocketX CTF action. Since the wife and I are going to Florida next week, I have selected DARKMATTER as the co-admin during the vacation and beyond, please direct all problem reports to DARKMATTER (Just kidding, send them to me). I have been having some issues with the linksys router in my setup, it locks up frequently (once a week is not too uncommon) so I will be downgrading the firmware to the previous version. If MMSLVCTF is not up its probably the routers fault. New to the setup is a new server box that now is hosting the UT Server, the specs are:

Compaq Proliant DL380 G1
Dual Pentium III @ 733 MHz
640 MB RAM
2 18.2 GB Ultra SCSI 3 Drives in RAID-0
2 power supplies
Running Gentoo Linux 2004.1 built from stage 1 tarball

Its a big chunk o' hardware, and I intend on using it for additional tasks. For example, I currently have win2000 Advanced server running inside a VMWare virtual machine; this is to support my need for an IIS server / MS SQL 2000 server for school related projects, instead of having 3 separate instances of IIS running on my network (for those of you that may not know, IIS is windows Internet Information Services Server, now infamous for being as flaccid as a wet noodle when it comes to security). If the virtual machine gets hacked, I can back it up from a previous date instead of taking down my network.

Anyhow, that's what's up. It's good to see you guys are still around, please don't mistake my silence as absence; I do occasionally check the forum, but I don’t post unless I have something worthwhile to add and the time to do it.
Later,
DS

Post subject: Hey!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Good to see you sir. Can I barrow the PC for a while? Glad to see you finally built it up. I was wondering when you were going to say something about it. What version of VMWare are you using? Would you use it instead of a ram drive for for running a server. IS there such a thing as VMWare for linux?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Sup Sun

Good to hear you are alive and well. Didn't you used to have an AMD 233 running the server?!

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:59 am 

To answer Herm's question, I am using VMWare Workstation ver. 4.5.1 on Linux. It is a good program, especially if you want to try out a new OS or you do development for multiple operating systems. It creates an entire filesystem in an image file, therefore eliminating the need for dual-boot; it is a good way for some of you out there that have wanted to try Linux without going through the hassle of partitioning and risking your personal data. The only catch is that if you want to do 3-d gaming you're out of luck. Yes Mah, at one time the server was on an AMD K6-2 350MHz, I'm very happy that the situation has improved! Now I just need a fat pipe so I can support more players, unfortunately the next tier in service for my cable company is waay too expensive! Oh well, maybe I should play the lottery, but I already pay enough taxes.
DS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:06 pm 

Hey Dead
Have u got ut 2K4?