It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 451b
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I reinstalled this patch using the directions this time and this may have made the difference. I can't imagine that last time I didn't follow the directions but they mention that 451b has to be installed on top of 451. I think I had it installed on 436 last time which may very well explain all of the trouble I had. It hasn't crashed once since the install. I just thought I'd mention it. Later!

Hermskii,

Post subject: Hmmm that's interesting
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:18 pm 

Hmmm this is pretty interesting to say the least. I didn't read the directions when I installed 451b a good while back but when I did install it was over a 451 but still had the problems. Now that I think about it more I have a feeling it wasn't the server that was messing everything up. I finally figured out what my problem was tho and I have good suspsions (sp?) that it might have been a little program called Kazaa lite that was throwing everything for a loop. Needless to say I got rid of that program and the problems seemed to go away.......go figure.

Herm I finally got on and checked out CG since you brought it back up and I am very impressed with the way it is running now. You happen to jack up the game speed a bit? Seemed like it runs closer to the speed I have my server running which is WONDERFUL! Love the high pace with it turned up.

BUT........I have a very small piece of constuctive critisim for ya tho.....

ADD SOME MORE BOTS PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!

I happened to get on the server today with about 4 other players which was kewl and all but it was a huge map and I bout fell asleep trying to find somebody to kill. I have only 8 slots on my server but when you get on there are 10 total people/bots on at all times. So there is never a lack of something to kill if you know what I mean. It's your server tho and I'm definately not telling you how to run it but more fodder in the mix would at least make the games go alittle quicker......

Anyways glad you happen to read the instruction and get it all worked out.

|<idcapri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:33 pm 

I'm sorry Kid, but I disagree. My main "criticism" of your server would be..... too many bots! :o (Especially on small maps.)

I enjoy a longer match rather than a short one. I like being able to go from my spawn point and have a chance of dashing to one of my favourite spots with a chance of getting there without having to survive multiple bot encounters. I like hiding and guiding, and also dashing around and about a large map searching out the other players for a quick telefrag or nuking. 8)

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the input from each of you. Kid, it was your server that inspired me to speed it up and Cruxan complaining at me too plus few others said it seemed to be "less jerky" with it speeded up some. It's a little fast for my taste but it isn't really about me since I don't play nearly as much as I used to. Both of you are right about the bots. I think it depends on the map. I think the answer is to wait and get the other maps on and then remove the unused ones. Then, I need to look at the bots and the types of maps that are still in use. The bot problem isn't so much there aren't enough as the stupider you set them to, the more apt they are to stand around. If I set them too smart, then the second they see you once they;ll fire and ruin a potentially great spot that they would normally ignore. Try it on yours and see what I mean. I'm just glad 451b is working now. On a side note, if you speed up the game, it actually speeds up the timer so ten seconds to vote in MapVote is actaully more like 6. I'll have to set it to 90 seconds to get a true minute to vote. Strange......

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:53 am 

mmm have to say i prefer less bots there harder to telefrag on the maps i go hunting on and kid been on urs when a few peeps have complained theres too many bots on here but they do make the bigger maps more enjoyable its really just getting the numbers right which i think is impossible the maps are just too different and people will always want more and less thats the best thing about having the servers set differently if you want more go to the server with more, less then go to the other. Same with game speed if i wanted a lazier game cg, faster game kids just have to get used to the increased speed on cg now no big problem.

Dark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:06 pm 

Your right on the money there, Dark. I agree. :)

Post subject: Sorry.....I just don't care to sleep while playing UT
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:11 pm 

Each to their own on this one......everybody has an opinion and I guess mine is alittle off from everybody else. No biggie tho....I just like my game fast paced all the time. Can't stand walking around or flying around aimlessly looking for 4 other bots to kill reguardless of what map it is. I think Death said it best a good while back when he made roughly the same observation about the lack of bots....

"If I wanted to fly around the whole time I would have bought Microsuck's Flight Simulator instead of this game."

Not a direct quote but I talked to him a few days ago about the bots and those were the words that came out of his mouth at that time and then he referred to when he posted something about it a good while back. Like I said I ain't trying to tell anybody how to run their server.......just thought I would give some input that would get the gameplay moving alittle quicker as compaired to getting a good 15 minute nap everytime a large map showed up.

Just my 2 cents

|<idcapri