It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Textures from the 2nd UT CD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:28 am 
Site Admin

For those of you using OpenGL, I have copied the large textures from UT CD #2 and put them into a rar file using the best compression possible. I should mention that I'm starting to FTP this file up to my webserver now at 1:30 AM central time. I'll start it then just go to bed as it should take all night so wait until Wednesday morning after 9:00 AM to try this please. Compressing the textures got them down from 500+mb to 300+ in size. If you want to see what many of us are seeing when we play using OpenGL and the larger textures, download these and then follow these instructions at your own risk! Get the massive file of textures here:

http://Hermskii.com/Files/UTCD2Textures.zip

Now here are the directions the best I remember them. (remember, you do this at your own risk)

(Print these instructions if you can)

1. Go to your C:\UnrealTournament\System folder.
2. Rename the file called OpenGLDrv.dll to OpenGLDrvOriginal.dll
3. Go to this link and download this zip file to your computer:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/utglr23.zip

4. Unzip it and copy the OpenGLDrv.dll to the C:\UnrealTournament\System folder.
5. Start the game and from the UT Desktop select options.
6. Select Preferences.
7. On the Video tab, select the Video Driver "Change" button.
8. A �Change Video Driver� option window will open. Select �Yes�.
9. The �Unreal Tournament Video Configuration� window will open.
10. Click the radius for �Show all devices�.
11. Highlight �OpenGL Support�.
12. Select �Next�.
13. Select �Next� again.
14. Select �Run�.
Done!

Here is where the 2nd CD for UT can be used. It contains many large textures that will replace the corresponding standard smaller textures in the game, when installed. If you have the 2nd CD, put it in the drive. It will autorun, and you can then install the textures. They take up quite a bit of space, be sure you have room on your drive before proceeding. They are worth the space however, as the game looks much better with them installed.

If you are using the OpenGL driver and have the S3TC files installed from the 2nd UT CD or from the download link, you enable them from within the game. Again hit the tilde key, and type PREFERENCES. On the menu that opens, select Renderers and then OpenGL Support. Now, find the section called USES3TC= False and change it to True. Close everything and reboot. Restart the game and check it out! You should have better frame rates and the picture should at the very least seem far more colorful!

If you don�t think it�s working properly, or if you decide that you prefer D3D as your renderer, then all you need to do is to repeat steps 5-14 while selecting D3D instead of OpenGL in step 11.
It is not necessary, but you may also change your OpenGLDrv.dll file back to the original one. Go back to your C:\UnrealTournament\System folder and delete the OpenGLDrv.dll file. Then just rename your original file back to its original name.

A big chunk of all of that was cut straight from my little manual I'm making when I have the time. Let me know how it goes.

Hermskii,

Last edited by Hermskii on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:59 am 
Site Admin

sweet -- thanks herm. I never found my original CD of UT, so I haven't had the compressed textures for a couple years. Now I'll be switching back for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:48 pm 

Anyone thinking of doing this, I can assure you that you won't be sorry. Just switching to the improved OpenGL renderer alone makes a nice improvement. Adding in the extra textures takes the eye candy from very nice to very beautiful.
I've been running both of these improvements for some time now, and I'm still stopping to admire the beauty quite often. :)

Right in the middle of a match, even. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Last Chance!
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

I need the space on my web server so I'll be removing this very soon. I highly recommend that you find the space and download this. Keep it forever! Maybe even try it out. It's awesome and you should but this has been eating a huge chunk of my web space for over 4 months now. It's coming off this weekend.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:51 pm 

Herm I have CD 2 From Ut I don't think I need that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:27 pm 

No you don't need the file. Just follow the directions and use the 2nd cd instead. :)