It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: And so it begins. Building a Fallout Shelter.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:02 am 

Made my first server purchase today. The Fallout Shelter will be an AMD Athlon based system. Here are the first components. I could not pass this deal up. 8)
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-M7NCD-K1&cat=SYS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:10 am 
Site Admin

cool!

You may be addicted to computer building though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:08 pm 

Looks like a great deal :D What server are you setting up?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:12 pm 

Mahatma wrote:
Quote:
You may be addicted to computer building though.

You ain't kidding, Mah. I need a 12 step program. I love to put the things together, and get them running. I need a less expensive hobbie... Actually, I need to make it my weekend job.

Kind Bud typed:
Quote:
What server are you setting up?.

I think I will put up a UT 2004 server of some sort. Perhaps redeemer, perhaps something else. Heck, I may just put up a Halo server :wink:

One more thing.
A so called friend of mine is out of a job. His phone had been disconnected, so I let him borrow my cell phone. He said he needed it to make sure prospective employers could get in touch with him. Got the bill today.... $226.... I nearly fell out. Anyway, the point of the story is that I made him a computer a few years ago. I plan on getting it back in return for the phone bill that he owes me, and the money that he never paid me for the computer. The server may be closer than I thought.
More later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:58 pm 

OUCH OUCH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:51 pm 

Well, I got my phone back.... AND the computer. So I plan on rebuilding it to the max. I will change it over when the package arrives, but for now, the server will be...

AMD Athlon 1700+
256 megs PC 133 ram
40 Gig hard drive
I wished the motherbaord had a faster fsb than 133. He was not a power user, so I did not use high dollar equipment.
I am re-installing Windows tonight. Probably needs an ethernet card. More later.

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

From the sounds of it, it should be perfect. I have a 266 mobo I play on and I've had and have 133 FSB boards and can barely tell the difference sometimes. Actually, if your running a 133 fsb board and it's AMD, don't you automatically double that to get 266? I'm still in love with my first 133 board and still have it with a Voodoo 5 5500 in it. It has 512 PC 133 Cas 2 in it also with a 30gb hdd. I'll be getting my hands on it again very soon. I have to get off memory lane so here is my turn off.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:43 pm 

There are only a handful of Mutant servers out there, and as that's your favourite form of the game............. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:36 pm 

a nameless entity wrote:
Quote:
There are only a handful of Mutant servers out there, and as that's your favourite form of the game.............

I may, but I want a server to be enjoyed by everyone, or at least most. Mutant fits my style of play because it is FAST paced, like Fractal Reactor or Morbius. Unfortunately, I can only allow for 6-8 people with my connection, and mutant is best played with at least 12. Redeemers, OTOH, can be played with 6-8, and with the POWERFUL blast, I don't see too many more people than that at one time.

Herm asked:
Quote:
Actually, if your running a 133 fsb board and it's AMD, don't you automatically double that to get 266?

You're right. DUH. Here is the mobo.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7T_Turbo_2

I'm going tomorrow for an ethernet card, and then look out 8)
I'll let you folks know when it's up. First thing is to install UT. Don't know if it will be UT99 or UT2004.....
Plus, it only has a 20 gig hard drive... May decide to get a little more space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 pm 

Jarg, I am working on that bright flash when the deemer explodes. I have spent several hour breaking down the parts of the blast (who the hell would have thought the blast would be so complex)....I finnaly got it down and documented. Should have an updated deemer mod out tomorrow. Just picking out my colors now...lol. btw, I noticed a problem with my last mod, the guided fire blast radius is still 100% blast..., so I will fix that too.

I sitll don't like the guiding on the deemer. Anyone noticed that when you guide fire, after you explode, you are always turned side ways....the work I have done today seems to have fixxed that , so you are still pointed in the diredction you fired. Not sure why, but will look into it.

Puff, Puff, Give

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:34 pm 

OHHHH YEAH!!!!! 8)
You go BigE. Email it to me when you are finished, please. I will upload it to my webspace and post a link.
My server preference may be changing fast :D

Hmmm. I wonder if I need another copy of UT2004 to run the server, or if I can play and serve on two different machines at the same time with the same cd key???
Of course, there is always dedicated server.... if I can figure out how to configure the .ini for redeemers...

Thanks Bigi 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:43 pm 

use that what u told me to use in that in mail which I still can can't figure it out. but I found something esle that way work but I got to find big open dm try it on. I send it to u jarg to try it.

Post subject: Go BIGI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Go BIGI go BIGI...

This is really great to hear that you have taken to this code so well. Any chance you'll be making maps soon too?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:56 am 

Ethernet card installed (plus a cool red fan :wink: ) Now Windows Update, here I come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:20 pm 

http://users.adelphia.net/~armstrongba0 ... rArena.rar
also emailed to jarg.

Here it is. It seems to work the way I wanted it too. Wasn't sure what to do with the blast coloring so...take a look...lol.

I also noticed it doesn't have any problems playing under the different game types, ie onslaught, mutant....though not sure how much fun mutant would be but would add an interesting twist. Good luck. Let me know if you see any problems.

Herm, maps seem like a time consuming measure....I may look into writing one later one....when things slow down at work.

Puff, Puff, Give