It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mass email worm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:20 pm 

The Mydoom email worm is spreading. Here is the Norton link to a little program to remove it from your computer.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxMydoom.exe

Post subject: Um
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

How do you tell if you have it? Maybe I should read the link you gave us eh?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:39 pm 

The link is to the download. Here is the info.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:12 pm 

Herm this u watch out for
TheVirus Alert
The W32.Novarg.A@mm virus is a mass-mailing worm that is very active on the Internet. While we are currently taking measures to protect our Email users, you can protect yourself by identifying and deleting emails with Novarg characteristics. Please do not report these emails as Spam.
Note: Your computer should not be infected by this virus unless you open a corrupted attachment.

What to look for:
Emails infected with the Novarg virus have, thus far, been approximately 30-35KB in size and have exhibited the following characteristics:

Subject line:

Hello
Hi
Test
Status
From line:
Contains spoofed addresses - which means that the name that appears in the "From" field is probably not the real sender.

Body:

Tends to be unreadable; gibberish. You may also see the following message: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment".
Attachment file extensions:

.zip (most common)
.bat
.cmd
.exe
.pif
.scr
Known attachment file names:

body (.zip, .bat, etc.)
readme
file
jasrjx
dajtl
document
What you can do:
Delete messages with the above characteristics and be sure to delete them from your Trash Folder. Knowing some of the above characteristics about this virus, you may wish to set up custom filters and route most of these virus emails directly to your Trash or Bulk Folder. This way, you can keep your inbox free of most of these messages. Just be sure to check your Trash or Bulk Folder and empty them on a regular basis in order to free up space in your email account.

For more information: Symantec Novarg Recommendations

- The Excite Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:38 pm 

I would just like to thank all of you who have gotten the virus, and don't love me....for keeping me off your mailing list, as I have yet to receive a single email with it....

word up hommies!

Puff, Puff, Give

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:08 pm 

I've been checking Norton for updates everyday since this latest flap started. Can't be too careful. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:05 am 

-- A new worm dubbed "Doomjuice" targeting Microsoft Corp.'s Web site emerged on the Internet on Monday, which security experts said slowed parts of the software maker's home page.

Doomjuice, which some are describing as a variant of the MyDoom worm, spreads via e-mail systems already infected with the first version, which became the fastest-spreading virus ever when it was unleashed on the Internet at the end of January.

"It's only looking for machines that are compromised by MyDoom A or B," said Vincent Gullotto, vice president of the anti-virus emergency response team at Network Associates Inc. He said it was not spreading as rapidly as the initial MyDoom worms.

Because Doomjuice spreads directly between infected computers, rather than via e-mail, experts said that it would not be accurate to call it a variant of MyDoom, which accounted for as many as one in five e-mails at its peak in late January.

But some computer security companies and Microsoft have taken to describing Doomjuice as a variant of MyDoom, naming it "MyDoom.C."

The MyDoom worm, as well as its variant MyDoom.B, were designed to entice e-mail recipients to click open an attachment, which then installed malicious software on a personal computer. The worms then instructed infected PCs to flood the Web sites of the SCO Group Inc. and Microsoft in an effort to shut them down.

Doomjuice, which experts said was most likely created by the same author as MyDoom, is designed to flood Microsoft's web site for request for data in an effort to bring it down, an attack known as a distributed denial of service.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft said that "all Microsoft.com web properties are stable and available to customers."

Security experts noted, however, that Microsoft's Web site was slower and was intermittently unavailable over the weekend.

The Web site of SCO, a small software maker based in Utah, has been shut down for more than a week after being hit by MyDoom. SCO has drawn the ire of advocates of Linux, the freely available operating system, for claiming to own the copyright on some parts of Linux and demanding licensing fees from users.

Microsoft.com remained up and running on Monday while sco.com remained offline.

The companies have also set up alternate Web sites at https://information.microsoft.com and http://www.thescogroup.com and are each offering a $250,000 bounty for information leading to the capture of MyDoom's author.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:59 pm 

Muahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha.

I got it. I really did. Of course my Mac just laughed and shrugged it off. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA. Keep buying your microsoft products. Baaaaahhhhhh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:31 pm 

The Web site of SCO, a small software maker based in Utah, has been shut down for more than a week after being hit by MyDoom. SCO has drawn the ire of advocates of Linux, the freely available operating system, for claiming to own the copyright on some parts of Linux and demanding licensing fees from users.
I won't laugh they may attachs MAC Next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:06 pm 

Hmmmm. Sounds like the people who are going after that company have a beef with them because they are trying to make money off of something that is really free to everyone. My question is this. Was their website being housed on a server using Windows Server or Linux.

Where as the reasoning behind the attacks on microsoft are similar. These folks claim they just wanna show microsoft how flawed their product is by easily attacking it over and over and over again. Unfortunately this seems to be a lost cause because you folks keep going back for more no matter how many flaws there are.

Yes there are Apple Virus' out there. If Apple ever starts abusing it's consumer base like Microsoft does then and only then will you see people constantly targeting Apple.