It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How is work (the economy) going?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:41 am 

I have been wondering about the rest of the country and the work loads or lack thereof.
I manage a small machine shop near Austin, Texas.
It has been so slow for the last 2 1/2 years. a lot of what we were doing was for Applied Materials here in Austin. That was the driving force here in central Texas for a while. There have been several shops close the doors. Some of them were large.
It has come to the point that we think we may have to shut our doors in the near future.
It is so disappointing and depressing to think about putting my coworkers on the streets looking for another job in this job market.
There are always some shops that are busy, but I think mostly in this area we are slow.
I hate to think of looking for a job in my 50's, although in manufacturing, I don't think age is as much a problem as in other sectors.
Anyway, my question is how are you doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:21 am 

BJB I'ma CNC machinest here in the Atlanta area and work for a Family run Buisness thats seems to be on the ropes , not sure how its going to go in the next few months , will just have to wait and see , but as for me I'm gettin out of it I start cooking School in Jan, and hope to leave the stinking machine shop buisness behind , twenty years in it's long enuff , its been slow and extremely hard to find any decent shops that are hiring or are willing to pay you decent money :? ugh !! the machine buisness just ain't what it used to be when I first got in to it back around '83. Sorry to hear about things being ruff out your way :cry: thats stinks ! , hope things will be ok for you and that things might improve this next year :) later and all the best wishes for the coming year !

Chef Tri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:41 pm 

billyjoebob , I work for hotel for 15 years.Fact one, Other hotel was build next to it slow thing down. FAct Two It change hands for second time they didn't care how it look they want to make money.Try to push housekeeping to get room clean.( If they clean right or not).Winter you spend time doing washing All bed spread,blankets,bed pads and Shower drape.Clean behind everything in room. Manger didn't won't that done.Last winter Manger come in Change Work Sheet when people work.Cut time worker time.My boss is older lady in her 60's.Because we work six day all summer time. Had plan to take exart time off in winter and spend time with her family they come in.She try give exart time in too. Manger can in Jan. Last year Change my time to work three day and Her five day.I and She didn't like.I got new job that no way .i won't lose to lack of work.I get spoiled from job.I get most Holiday .This christmas 12/23/03 to 1/2/04. I am off work those day. But You can earn exart money on weekends and school out. For Six days I have to work that time.It help pay for bills.Last I was worried lack work. I am not now.

Post subject: Houston
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

I can't speak for the rest of Houston but I don'tthink that things are so grim here. I'm not working currently but I don't expect too much trouble finding a position. I have lots of people in the right places right now. Strange to hear that Atlanta is having trouble. I justed watched something on Nightline or Primetime about how Atlanta seems to be through the tough times and is exploding at the seams though a major airline there is about to do lay-offs. I saw a segment on CNN yetsreday that said that "Yes", indicators were that the country is on a road to a nice recovery but that the market for "Good" jobs was still down at the moment. Unemployment is still high but companies are about to start spending again. I wish traffic was an indicator of the pulse of the economy because if it were, we'd be in the business here in Houston. More on all of this when I have more time.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:23 pm 

Central Canada here...... I own a automotive electronics store.(remote starters,alarms,stereos,wheels and truck accessories). Has been the best year and I opened it up 13 years ago! Business has been booming over the last couple years and just read article on home sales for the last year it was a record year. Seems you yanks are spending all your funds on the war :lol: Sorry to hear about you peeps but give it a bit and it should pick up and if not comeon over to Canada :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:57 pm 

Never a dull moment at a Hospital. We're getting slammed, especially due to this flu epidemic. They are having a shortage of rooms for patients. One leaves, another moves right in. Lots of sick people and newborns. Feels like I ran a marathon after each day of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:48 am 

I work for distribution for Lowe's Home Improvement close to it's home office in North Carolina. Buisness is good in that industry. When the economy is down, more people spend money improving their existing homes instead of purchasing new homes. Our buisness is booming. We have had record quarters each quarter this year.

Post subject: great here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:29 pm 

i own a construction company in northern michigan . it's a tourist area and people are pouring in her like mah's missels from the roof at viridian. business is better that i have ever expected it could be.
just had the end of the year chat with the accountant where he tells me that we had such a good year that i have a new partner that only shows up once a year to get his check.....uncle sam, and this year he wants alot more.
fish

Post subject: Re: great here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:17 pm 

fishgod wrote:
"....we had such a good year that i have a new partner that only shows up once a year to get his check.....uncle sam, and this year he wants alot more."
fish

Ah yes, the silent but deadly partner. :twisted:

I used to have a deduction on my paycheck called FTax :lol: