It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: AMD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:11 am 

ok as i have said i am looking for a new puter anybody used/using amd what they like????
especially the new 64 chips
Ps thanks for the advice jarg i did look around found another company hence this request also if you read this clem have a look at my other post let me know the tech on that one and if its ok i might have one more for advice from you on amd system and anybody else that wants to add there .2c worth.

Dark :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:14 am 

I exclusively use AMD here at home. My newest 'puter uses a Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) with 333MHz FSB. I never buy top of the line because I am a cheap bastard. I am always slightly behind the curve where the price goes down dramatically, but the performance is still very good.

As for the Athlon 64 I suggest to wait. I read a review in one of the german magazines and it was positive in general. Problem is that nobody really supports the native 64Bit mode and you would run in 32bit emulation anyway. You might as well get the Athlon XP 3200+ instead and let other people blaze the trail.

Just my $0.02

N6NU

Post subject: Yep
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed. I use only AMD and have been pretty happy, but Pentium based stuff is easier to maintain and actually has fewer patches and stuff to update all of the time. Not true of AMD, especially if it's a VIA cbased chipset board.

I too stick right under the curve to save the money. I'm on a XP 2100 right now and am about to upgrade to the XP 2600 333 FSB chip. I'm selling my 2100 for $50 and the new chip is $110 so for $60 I'm upgrading to the equivalent of a Pentium 4 2.7ghz. Hahahaha! I love AMD.

Hold out on the 64 bit chip. Yes, it's the fastest in the world but so was the Betamax VCR when it first came out. LOL

Congrats on whatever you get.

Hermskii,

Last edited by Hermskii on Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:07 pm 

AMDs are great processors. Give them a try.
I think that if you want to get the 64 bit job, then go for it. The 3200+ 64 bit is around $500 here in the states, and it is PLENTY fast. Why not? Go for it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:13 pm 

Hold on the 64 bit chip. Yes, it's the fastest in the worl but so was the betamax VCR when it first came out. LOL

Yea that went thru my mind too wether intel and microunspeakable get together and make it so amd 64 wont work and as this has to last a few yrs at least 4 if not near to 6 i just ain't sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:08 am 

Location: atop the watch tower on Phobos Moon (North Carolina)
I'm with the hamster (N6NU) and the joker (Hermskii). if you two are behind the curve, then I'm way behind. my machine is a 1 GHz Pentium 3 and it was upgraded about a year ago. the premium you'd pay for the top of the line chip (like a 3 GHz P4 or the new AMD Athlon 64) just isn't good value to me. take the 1 GHz P3 I have now. back when it first came out, it would set you back several hundred U.S. dollars. when I got it late last year, it was just over a hundred. though before the upgrade I had to settle for a slower machine (400 MHz Celeron), but it was plenty fast for me at the time. aside from the price premium, I would not be inclined to go for the first versions of anything. I prefer to have them work out the bugs, then I'll decide if I really have the need for it. is there a compelling reason to go for 3 GHz P4? if you're just using your computer for office apps, some internet stuff, and some gaming, I'd say a 3 GHz processor is an overkill.

NVIDIA has come a long way with regards to Athlon chipsets. I've heard many good things about their nForce2 Athlon chipsets. if I were to build a computer today (though in reality I wouldn't, more on that later), it'd be an Athlon XP 2500+ or so on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

why I wouldn't build a computer today. a fairly big motherboard change is coming soon. AGP is to be replaced by PCI Express, the processor socket is changing (for both AMD and Intel), DDR may be going out in favor of DDR-II, and on top of that, the motherboard form factor may be changing too (and that means a new case is needed). I'm not saying you shouldn't get a new computer now. you definitely should get a new one if the one you have now cannot handle what you want to do well enough for you.

as for the 64-bit stuff, it's now just barely touching the high end and not in the mainstream yet. at this point, I'd say it depends on what the software support will be and what Intel will do. I heard that microsoft will do two 64-bit versions of windows and also Intel will do another 64-bit architechture in addition to the Itanium they already have. but those are just sayings seen on the web and like Kotori would say "the future is not yet decided" (a recurring quote from "X").

-clemmentine ( everlasting_lórien / AngelPriestessKayura / Tenku_no_Touma / Korin_no_Seiji / Tempest_Cloud_Arashi )

East or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
This way could be my book of days.
-- from "Book of Days" by Enya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:15 am 

thanks to all for the advice but have decided for now to hold off getting a new puter

1, as clem said there bringing out new stuff and this new one will have to last a few yrs as i have said a few times

2, they sent out the repayment docs and what i was told isnt what they want, there payment and interest gone thru roof so for now will make do with what i have

once again thanx to all
dark :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:26 am 

The Jargonaut wrote:
AMDs are great processors. Give them a try.
I think that if you want to get the 64 bit job, then go for it. The 3200+ 64 bit is around $500 here in the states, and it is PLENTY fast. Why not? Go for it! :D

$500 buys you a whole usable computer :-)

N6