It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bummer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about the PC. How old was it and are you really sure it's a mobo issue?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:30 pm 

Roger that. The mobo emits a series of beeps. Since Dell was not kind enough to send a description of the beeps and there meanings, I am just gonna have to get a new mobo. I have decided to forgo the Alienware... Just tooo darn expensive. I could get a G5 Mac for the price. Gonna upgrade the old computer. I already have a new case. Now for a whole new mobo and processor... I wonder, should I stick with Intel, or give the new AMD Athlon 64 a try???

Post subject: Ram
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like bad ram is possible. Pull it all out. Put one dimm back reboot. Doesn't work, do it again with another etc. I just can't believe a MOBO fried. I've only had 2 MOBOS fry and it was always because of me with a metal object or the wrong chip with the wrong voltage. If the sound goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEP BE DEEP, it's a video card that crapped out. Serious! Don't give up so easy. If you didn't mess with it, then it isn't dead in my opinion. BEEEEEEE Bee Deep = bad video card. replace it with any piece of crap and if you get a picture, that is your problem. Pull the ram and do as I suggest too. I'll bet you money it works!

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:07 pm 

Actually, it is a series of 4 beeps, all lasting about 1/2 second, and spaced 1 second apart. The reason that I'm sure it is the mobo is because this happened when I first got this computer. That mobo lasted two weeks. Dell sent a Tech to my house and that was the diagnosis. He installed a new mobo. I got this computer when the P-4 first came out. I don't think that the chipsets were reliable then. That's okay, I've been wanting a new computer anyway. I will get my new mobo, processor, and ram tomorrow. It will be a SWEET system. More info on this later :wink:
I also purchased my new case. Here it is.
http://raidmax.com/products/products_display.php?page_no=3&cID=1&pID=7
It's blue. Gaudy as all get out. I love it :lol:

P.S. I still have this P-4 and 1 gig of pc-800 ram (around 600 dollars worth). I can still build an awesome system for pretty cheap.

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet! You wouldn't want to pull a Schwantz and donate it to a UT server admin type would you??? I'm just kidding. Actually I'm not. Well, I am kidding just a little, but not as much as I'm not. Just forget I said anything......unless you're actually considering it! I'm sorry, where are my manners? Forget everything I just said......unless you can't and the giving spirit of Christmas is overwhelming you. I take it all back.......... well, most of it. Not the part about giving me your old system though. LOL

I'm just joking and that is my FINAL ANSWER unless you're really thing about it. No, no, no. I already have one but thanks anyway. Two would be better though! Nah, you have something good to use it for I'm sure................don't you? Hmmmmmmm? OK. You know what. Just keep it and use it. Whew! I feel better.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

LOL. I'll send you mine when it craps out. Personally, I've never had any PC of mine crap out. Never -- but then again, I've only recently bought Dells ...

Jarg, that case looks sweet! I would add a modded tailpipe and put a huge tachometer on it, and drive it up and down the street. :lol:

House is empty now, with just this laptop and some boxes full of junk. Must clean this place up tomorrow, before leaving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:43 pm 

Herm typed:
Quote:
You know what. Just keep it and use it. Whew! I feel better.

LOL... Is that your final answer?

IF I decide to get that Alienware, I think that I could part with the wreck. It may be in the future though. I want to wait for the next big thing to hit (PCI Express). If this stuff just starts collecting dust, then you can upgrade CG to a P-4. I do want to get a new Intel 850 mobo that supports RDram to build another system. I now have a D-Link wireless router, and would love to have another gaming system in the house. Time and money will tell. :wink:

Post subject: High speed
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

You're in the fast lane now. Maybe it's time to kick off a server of your own??? Sounds like you've almost got the goods already.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:24 pm 

I don't know about that. There are plenty of servers already. I don't think my up speed is good enough. I may do it sometime in the future for kicks, but not seriously. :D