It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A little Unreal help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:09 pm 

Hi All,
This past week I find it impossibly to play Unreal on my computer. Even the video on start up sucks. About two or three times per second the video pauses or hiccups or some dame thing. Much like real bad lag, of course there can be no lag at start up, that is video being played off the hard drive. When logging onto a site to play the phenomenon isn’t any better, checked the ping and it was in the low 200’s. I can play in the low 200’s but what’s going on feels like the low 1000’s. Have all the current updates for Windsows ME (yeah I know it sucks). Updated the video drivers. Any other ideas short of stripping and reloading Unreal

Windows ME
Intel III 1.4G
1 Gig PC800 Rambus
Main hard drive 9 gigs available

Heeeeeeeeelp!!! Skank :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:20 am 

what video drivers were they if nvidia i have had trouble with progs and game hangs since i updated but not as bad as you describe i think there drivers really do suck but could be because were running them on older operating sys'
Dark :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Post subject: same
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Same story here. I installed my unreal yesterday to give it a looksee and though it wasn't totally unplayable due to being to dark which happens with Nvidia cards I've heard, it was still too grainy to be effective. I remember the graphics to be mind blowing. What I saw was't even close. Everything was awful for me. Story no help but I'm in same boat sort of. Mine didn't pause at all though. Just GRAINY. Max available res was 800x600. Is that right?

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:58 pm 

Location: atop the watch tower on Phobos Moon (North Carolina)
Skank:

what's the rendering mode? software rendering, Direct 3D, or OpenGL? how does the graphics look compared to before you started noticing the problem? if the graphics looks worse than before, maybe somehow it got into software rendering mode. check your video settings in UT. I forget, what kind of video card do you have? your processor and RAM are much more than enough to run UT very well. I have a 64MB GeForce 3 and lesser processor and RAM than you have and UT runs great in OpenGL on NT 4.0.

the pausing video problem also sounds like a badly fragmented hard drive. try defragging your hard drive.

with ping in the low 200s (56k-like) and you having a broadband connection, it sounds like you may also have a connection problem.

Hermskii:

check your rendering mode too. grainy sounds like it 's in software rendering mode, but being too dark sounds like OpenGL. if it's in OpenGL mode, check to make sure you have the up to date renderer. and perhaps it's not installing the compressed textures on the second CD? max of 800x600 can't be right. I run in 1024x768 in OpenGL mode (though may not be the latest renderer), and the graphics look fine to me.

- clemmentine ( ARWEN_EVENSTAR / [MoR]Eowyn / Trinity. / Maiden_Arashi )

East or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
This way could be my book of days.
-- from "Book of Days" by Enya

Post subject: Clem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Clem. You are aware that we are talking about the original Unreal game right? There is no 2nd cd. Thanks anyway though.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:32 pm 

Unreal can put itself into software rendering mode somehow. It happened to me at least once. That's when it looks grainy.

Did you know that you can explore the castle in the opening video? If I recall correctly you bring down the console and type the word walk. You'll have to use the fly command to see the whole map though. And try jumping into the moat. LOL!!
You can bump off that Nali walking around up there too, if you want. :twisted:

Skank was having trouble playing UT online too, btw. Are there really still servers for Unreal Botmatch?