It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Got it from the Mac folks themselves!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

I sent some emails to some folks at Mac and Epic Games a few days ago and they actually replied back today. I complained about how maddening it was that UT won't run on OSX properly and challenged them to continue their efforts to port it over to OSX so I can play on my wifes Mac. Here is what I got back from a top dog at Epic:

"I'm sorry but this just isn't in our plans. You might want to pick up a cheap PC to play the game on or look into a PlayStation2. The original UT is available on PS2 (you can get one for under $180 now) and you can plug USB keyboards and mice into the PS2."

Mark Rein
Epic Games Inc.

Visit us at http://www.epicgames.com

Mark had carbon copied his reply to Ryan Gordan.I was bummed after reading that but then Ryan Gordan (the guy who ported UT2K3 to Mac) sent me an email with this in it:

Wait, there was some miscommunication here...Epic is not officially
doing UT for MacOSX, but UTPG (a group outside of Epic) is in fact
working on this, and hopefully will release something soon.

In the meantime, Westlake Interactive released a beta MacOS X version (Google around for "UTX"), which works "well enough".

I don't have a timetable for the UTPG work beyond "soon," but I'll keep you posted.

Sorry for the confusion.

--ryan.

So there you have it! I just wanted ya'll to see a little of what I've been up to. I removed my actaul name from the letters before posting but otherwise, these are cut and pasted into this exactly as I got them. I consider this great news. I knew that UTPG was building the patches like 451 but I had no idea that they were also porting over UT to OSX! I can't wait!

Hermskii,

Last edited by Hermskii on Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:26 pm 

lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hotts

Post subject: Ummm?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Blondie? Why is that funny? This whole thread is the truth. I'm seriously trying hard to get UT to work on my Mac. It's been impossible so far but now I see there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

She's crackin up for the same reason NM cracks up when Winblows finds out about 4 new security holes. No, Ok, NM cracks up harder.

Still, it's pretty funny that a game released so many years ago still hasn't been ported over. :lol:

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Not funny Mah, SADD! I laid into them hard about it saying I can't imagine how many people switched over to PC's from Mac just over this one game. I bet that well over 1000 switched. I know they have to move forward but you should ever move forward if part of your team is left behind and they left a huge community back behind when they failed to do this. Maybe it's not anyone's fault but still, they should have done this one game for sure.

Hermskii,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:47 am 

I see it as a result of major changes in the way that MacOS operates; thanks to their change to a BSD-like core, many software projects that already exist for unix/linux can be ported now. I think that there has been a Mac version of UT out for some time, it is just that it runs on "classic" mode on MacOS X, which I hear is slow. I too have been considering making the "switch", but since I don't have the money to get what I want in a Mac(Dual processors, 23" monitor, phat vid card), I will probably look at a dual opteron system instead...but I still haven't made the decision.

"He who believes in the Devil already belongs to him."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:23 am 

exactly mah the same reason i was laughing ut has been out for years
herm on a serious note have you emailed max,metalman, or one of the other mac folks they maybe able to help you get yours running on your mac
if you need anyones email addy check under the memberlist at the top

as far as me cracking up i did that awhile ago and just haven't recovered completely lol

sorry for laughing hermy

hotts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:22 am 
Site Admin

lol deadsun, that's always what it comes down to for those of us who have considered buying a mac -- they are just too damn expensive compared to their virtually equivalent counterpart on the PC side. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:36 pm 

"You get what you pay for"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:19 pm 

I still want to know why someone can't build a PC and put Mac OSX on it. I don't recall an answer to this question. If linux goes on, and OSX is linux based, why not? :?:

An affordable Mac. What a concept! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:39 pm 

I am not buy other computer Mac or PC with windows.I hope this one last me for long time.I hope :D I won't have clue how to use Mac.If I did I need classes if did. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:44 pm 

Well put torpy...you see, the only reason that I'm considering the switch is because of the hardware...I saw a mac at a garage sale(I can't recall the model number) that must have been 10+ years old judging by the copyrights on some of the software. Thing still ran like a charm! None(or less of) of the stupid failures that occur with PC hardware, like a month ago when MMRA's network card decided to crap out. It kept giving me a "eth0:too much work at interrupt, status:0x00000001". According to suggestions in several newsgroups, I moved the NIC to another slot; it then started to f$#* up the hard drive, causing the machine to hang. that NIC was only 2 years old, sure it was only $20 but still, total piece of crap!

"He who believes in the Devil already belongs to him."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:45 pm 

Location: atop the watch tower on Phobos Moon (North Carolina)
a nameless entity wrote:
I still want to know why someone can't build a PC and put Mac OSX on it. I don't recall an answer to this question. If linux goes on, and OSX is linux based, why not? :?:

An affordable Mac. What a concept! :twisted:

look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

on that page, it says:
Quote:
Mac OS X Version 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

I can't say getting hardware for the PowerPC processor is as easy as getting hardware for the PC. the easiest way appears to be going to Apple directly. I still remember the time in the mid-90s when there were Mac clones, but Apple put a stop to that. that may or may not have been a good decision, as we did not take the other branch (allowing the Mac clones to go on). UNIX/Linux based doesn't seem to be a factor here; looks like it's up to Apple to decide what hardware Mac OS X will run on.

- clemmentine ( ARWEN_EVENSTAR / [MoR]Eowyn / Trinity. / Maiden_Arashi / Sunday_Silence / clem|ExpiredMilk )

East or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
This way could be my book of days.
-- from "Book of Days" by Enya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:05 pm 

Thankyou Clem. :)

So the software looks for specific types of hardware? In my limited understanding of this field I can see that perhaps the motherboard and therefore the processor that would have to go with it might be Mac specific due to software constraints, but how far does that go? Are the hard drives, video cards, sound cards and etc really all that different? Are there any parts that could be taken out of a PC and put straight into a Mac and function correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:08 pm 

Location: atop the watch tower on Phobos Moon (North Carolina)
a nameless entity wrote:
Thankyou Clem. :)

So the software looks for specific types of hardware? In my limited understanding of this field I can see that perhaps the motherboard and therefore the processor that would have to go with it might be Mac specific due to software constraints, but how far does that go? Are the hard drives, video cards, sound cards and etc really all that different? Are there any parts that could be taken out of a PC and put straight into a Mac and function correctly?

yes. hardware and software have to be compatible with each other in order for the system (hardware + software) to work. it's a bit like when you're installing an operating system (for example, windows), the install program detects your hardware and installs the proper drivers. the motherboard may be Mac specific, but the PowerPC processor isn't. IBM's POWER4 and POWER5 processors are related to the PowerPC processors used in today's Macs. it's not software constraints; it's that the software (Mac OS X for example) is written for certain kinds of hardware. hard drives, video cards, sound cards and such, between Macs and PCs are not that different, though many hardware makers have Mac-specific versions. you should be able to take a drive from a PC and put it in a Mac. but then there's always the details, such as the operating system issue. files written to the drive in, say, windows, may or may not be readable on a Mac running, say, Mac OS X. for video cards, you have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition. RAM is probably the easiest thing you can move over.

- clemmentine ( ARWEN_EVENSTAR / [MoR]Eowyn / Trinity. / Maiden_Arashi / Sunday_Silence / clem|ExpiredMilk )

East or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
This way could be my book of days.
-- from "Book of Days" by Enya